The following 12 foods also have beneficial effects on the heart and vascular system:
- Eat fish high in omega-3s. These are salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring and trout.
- A handful of healthy nuts: Almonds or walnuts will satisfy your hunger and help your heart.
- The berries are full of heart-friendly phytonutrients and soluble fiber. Try adding blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries to cereals or yoghurts.
- Seeds Flax seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and phytoestrogens to enhance heart health. Add them to cereals and salads or use them in a ground form to get the most benefit. Chia seeds also contain omega-3, fiber and protein, and can be eaten whole.
- Oats are also good for the heart.
- Legumes Dried beans and lentils (chickpeas, pinto beans or black beans) are rich in fiber, B vitamins, minerals and other beneficial substances.
- A glass of red wine (up to two per day for men and one for women) can increase the level of good (HDL) cholesterol.
- Soya . Add edamame or pickled tofu to the roast with fresh vegetables to make a hearty lunch or dinner.
- Red, yellow, and orange vegetables ( carrots, sweet potatoes, red peppers, and tomatoes) are rich in carotenoids, fiber, and vitamins that are good for the heart.
- Green vegetables. Eat spinach, cabbage, chard, mustard greens and bok choy. Use greens to make sandwiches and salads. Broccoli and asparagus also contain powerful nutrients such as vitamins C and E, potassium, folate, calcium and fiber.
- Fruits : Oranges, melons and papaya are rich in beta-carotene, potassium, magnesium and fiber.
- Dark chocolate is good for your heart health. The higher the percentage of cocoa, the better! With an increase in the percentage of cocoa, the fiber and protein content increase, while the amount of sugar, on the contrary, decreases.
Authors of a scientific study from the University of Pisa fed whole-wheat flour pasta to laboratory mice before causing cardiac arrest. At the same time, they kept mice from the control group, which also had pasta in their diet, but made from premium wheat flour, which most people buy.
As a result, it turned out that rodents that ate pasta from barley survived after a heart beat in larger quantities, while receiving less damage to the myocardium. Scientists attribute this fact to more active formation of “natural bypasses” in the form of vascular branches. Such “processes” of blood vessels provide an inflow or outflow of blood in the blood vessel during thrombosis, embolism and compression of the vessels.
For the first time, we received evidence that this activity of the circulatory system is supported by food, in this case, pasta with barley beta-glucan. To our knowledge, this is the first study to show that a steady dietary intake of beta-glucan-enriched pasta safely increases coronary collaterals (blood vessel branches) and reduces mortality.
And this means that you should not be afraid to lean on a paste of whole grain flour: it is very useful for the heart and the vascular system, in addition, such a dish will not affect the figure.