Breastfeeding is a real science that a young mother has to master, often with difficulty. Making this path easier, explains Polina Lykova, a breastfeeding specialist at IBCLC.
BEFORE GIVING BIRTH
Oddly enough, the success of breastfeeding is largely ensured by childbirth.
And the first thing to do is to choose the right hospital.
- It does not abuse obstetric techniques. Their excess can interfere with the establishment of feedings.
- Possible joint stay. This will allow the baby to be applied as often as necessary.
- It has the status of “Child Friendly Hospital”. This status confirms support for breastfeeding in a hospital or hospital. So, most likely, the first application will happen immediately after childbirth, and you will not be persuaded to feed, drink, separate from the child
If supplementary feeding is required for medical reasons, you will be taught how to manually express and feed not from the nipple. Some maternity hospitals are assisted by volunteer consultants.
ON THE FIRST DAYS
- In the first hour, put the baby to the chest. Even if complete feeding does not work, he licks drops of colostrum.
- Pay attention to the signs that the baby gives: opens his mouth, smackes his lips, turns his head, moves his limbs. “Breast demand” is the application at the slightest concern of the baby. Sometimes they think that we should wait for crying, but this is not at all the case. Crying is a sign of despair, a cry for help.
- 8 moments familiar to every nursing mother
Breastfeeding is a very, very useful thing. Both for mom and baby. But some nuances still cause inconvenience.
On-demand feeding means according to your requirement – apply the baby if there is discomfort or a feeling of fullness in the chest.
- Do not be afraid to “overfeed” the baby – this is impossible, as children can suck their breasts with nutritious and non-nutritious movements without sucking milk. If the baby does not want to get milk, he will suck differently.
- A healthy baby in the first weeks after childbirth smokes diapers daily. The first sign of malnutrition is a lack of stool in the first weeks after birth.
- If it’s painful to feed, without wasting time, call for help. Pain is a sign that something is going wrong. Most likely, the problem will be solved by changing the pose.
- Try not to use supplementary foods unnecessarily. If nevertheless your child needs additional nutrition, it is better to use not the usual nipple, but supplementary feeding from a syringe, spoon, cup, special devices.
- Look for adequate information and support – from experienced lactating friends, in support groups, from breastfeeding counselors, in modern books, and on resources with reliable information.
If you are separated from your baby after giving birth, start pumping as soon as possible. This will start the process of milk formation. Try to pass the colostered colostrum and milk to the baby for feeding.
How to understand whether feeding is successful?
Here are two main criteria:
- Sufficient weight gain: an average of 200 g per week in the first 4 months.
- Painlessness for the mother – pain in the nipples or chest indicates problems.
If something went wrong as you would like, immediately seek adequate help. Almost always a problem can be solved!