Early childhood is the most difficult to diagnose. Conventional and vividly expressed symptoms in an adult can be signs of very different diseases in kids. So cough and runny nose in the monthly child can be a symptom of infection and a reaction to a new toy or bedding.
The main causes of runny nose and cough without fever in an infant following:
- An allergic reaction to the environment. This is the most common cause because it is not formed mucous baby sensitive to any adverse factors. A sharp smell, too dry or stale air, cigarette smoke can cause coughing.
- The penetration of alien elements into the nasopharynx. In this case, coughing is a natural way of body to get rid of foreign bodies.
- Teething. Snot and cough in children 6 months it is likely the symptom of the appearance of the first tooth. In favor of this cause to testify, and the presence of profuse salivation.
In these cases, the cough and runny nose in baby’s first year of life do not entail any serious complications. When you remove corrosive elements from the environment of the baby, these symptoms disappear. To ease the toddler with the appearance of your teeth or symptomatic drugs.
However, cough and runny nose accompanied by increased temperature, chills and General malaise – the reason for urgent treatment to the doctor. In these cases, the cough can be a side symptom of a serious communicable disease.
Diseases that can cause snot and cough in infants the following:
- Laryngitis, pharyngitis. When inflammation of the upper respiratory tract, which are “famous” for these diseases, the child begins frequently and intermittently to breathe, the cough may be hoarse, whistling. Also for inflammation of the upper part of the pharynx is characteristic of the so-called “barking” cough with a runny nose.
- Bronchial asthma. In her “favor” say – passivity, weakness, cough in morning and night hours.
- Diphtheria, whooping cough. These diseases are characterized by the progression of the cough, the temperature rises only a few days after the occurrence of the first “bells” in the form of runny nose and cough.
- ARI and ARI. The abundant mucus, a stuffy nose and wet cough indicate the presence of a cold for baby.
IMPORTANT! The fragile structure of the nasopharynx and mucous ways infants make even the common cold. The appearance of suspicious symptoms in addition to cough and runny nose is a reason to urgently see a doctor.
How to cure common cold and cough in infants?
The function of cough and mucus in infants similar to adults. Sharp breaths and the abundant nose allow the body to get rid of the phlegm, and thus from the focus of infection. Therefore, the main treatment will be to achieve a free waste sputum.
The main difficulty is the selection of essential drugs and the route of administration. The body weight of babies under one year is so small that even the selection of medication doses from a cold should take place strictly under medical supervision. Part medications also should be subject to scrutiny.
If Your baby’s runny nose and cough, the method of treatment will depend on his age.
From 1 to 3 months
The child is 1-4 months often found coughing from saliva. Since the work of the salivary glands and swallowing reflex is not established, the child may just choke on your own salivating. In such cases you just need to help the child to cough, turning to the side or down the tummy.
Cough due to a cold can be treated with the following drugs:
- mucolytic syrups and medicines, like Flamed, Mucosolvan, etc.;
- antitussive drugs, such as Efferalgan, Panatus;
- expectorant syrups – Geelix and Spilled.
The means of treatment of rhinitis include:
- Other types of pain;
All of these fluids help to wash the nose, to thin out mucus and promote excretion never heard of these. Use of these drugs can be from birth, however, the dosage should be selected, given a specific age.
Infants up to six months
Range of products for a child 6 months is also limited. Only pediatrician can assess the condition of the baby, to prescribe effective medication and dosage.
For the six-month-old children permitted the use of the following drugs:
- Mucolytics – Bromhexine, Ambroxol;
- Antitussives and expectorants – Remens, Mucosolvan.
The drugs of the first and second group in any case can not be taken together. As their action is mutually aggressive. Mucolytics – block the cough reflex, and expectorants – liquefy phlegm and increase. Thus, once the virus fluid can accumulate in the lungs and bronchi, causing even more inflammation.
Children under one year
Safe for use in children 6-12 months include:
- Mucosolvan, Ambroxol – these drugs are designed to treat coughs. Available in powder for preparation of solution or in the form of a liquid. They can be mixed with milk, tea, fruit drinks and fruit drinks.
- Saline – a great tool for the treatment of rhinitis in children of all ages. Has no contraindications or restrictions in dosage. Is applied by instillation of a solution into the nozzle.
- The nearest drugstore, I suffered – are vasoconstrictor drugs. Block the release of never heard of these, but use them for more than three days unsafe. To calculate the exact dosage necessary to carefully study the manual or ask the pediatrician.
All proposed tools are the most safe for the treatment of cough and cold in infants. However before using a particular facility, parents should be sure to consult with your doctor. Self-administration of medicines and their dosage can lead to serious complications.
Peculiarities of treatment of cold and cough newborn
Kids to months is rarely really sick. The immunity of the newborn is so strong and reinforced by the mother’s milk that cold viruses are almost powerless. Therefore, in most cases, cough in infants without temperature just a reaction to a negative element or physiological characteristic.
However, if you suspect a viral infection, the child will need medical intervention and assistance. To determine the pathogen’s parents is extremely difficult because appeal to the children’s clinic is a required element of treatment.
The main problem in the treatment of rhinitis is a timely removal of excess mucus. As a newborn baby is not able to vysmarkivatsya, then this function needs to take parents.
In this case, would be of great assistance:
- The nebulizers. Any kind of inhalation for cough and cold for babies are the most effective ways of treatment. Modern medical inhalers and nebulizers specifically designed to meet the physiological characteristics of babies. Inhalation of herbal or medicinal solutions to safely and favorably affect the well-being of newborns.
- Rubber pear. These little klimoski quickly and efficiently pulled out the extra mucus from baby’s nose. Pears have a little nose that easily enters the small nostril of the newborn.
- Cotton swabs. Effective for removing more dense, frozen selections. Liquid sopelki with sticks to remove will not work.
If the baby has any cough and runny nose without fever, the reasons for no worries. Profuse discharge from the nose is a protective reaction of the body, and the cough may be the consequence. So reflex coughing because of the snot in infants quite often misleads parents, who accept it as a separate symptom, and is a reaction to flows into the larynx sopelki. In this case, the elimination of mucus will lead to the disappearance of cough.
Parents need only give the child the opportunity to freely cough up excess mucus and fluid.
IMPORTANT! Premature, weak babies additionally can be assigned immunomodulating medicines and drugs.
If the runny nose and cough no fever – what to do?
What to do if you cough and have a runny nose and no fever? In the first place to decide whether they are symptoms of an infectious disease. Easy to distinguish the cough from the beginning of a serious disease only by a qualified specialist.
If the doctor has identified the presence of the virus, treatment should be exactly the reason. Medications that are prescribed by pediatrician to be taken in an exact dosage and a fixed time. After defeating the virus, cough and runny nose will also be held.
To alleviate the condition of the baby will help such methods cough and runny nose:
- Drink plenty of liquids. Child up to 6 months is recommended for frequent application to the chest. For older kids, and also babies that are bottle-fed – water, weak fruit drinks, teas.
- Lightweight food. During his illness, even in the absence of fever in infants, should not overfeed the baby. Without the limitation of only breast milk. Meat and cheese puree, broth should be postponed until recovery.
- For effective expectoration, in the room where the child needs to maintain sufficient humidity. Recommended temperatures are above 20 degrees.
IMPORTANT! If the child has no temperature, the fresh air will be useful and effective for recovery.
Caution in the treatment of
In the care of a small child important, moderation and prudence of action.
In the treatment of cough and colds in infants is strictly forbidden:
- Self-diagnose based on articles from the Internet, books or brochures.
- To prescribe medicines and their dosage without checking with your doctor.
- To use the people’s money without consulting with a specialist.
- To use those means which are put in similar symptoms to adults.
- Ignore the ambulance at a high temperature or a sudden deterioration in the health of the baby.
These methods and medicines of cough and sniffles – only the most secure methods. They can alleviate the condition of the baby, to prevent infection. However, if these symptoms persist for 3-4 days, despite treatment, should immediately contact the doctor.