Experts note the following causes of prolonged rhinitis in children:
- A complication of colds. Caused due to lowered immunity of the baby, inflamed adenoids or improper use of medications.
- Bacterial infection. Characterized by a snot with yellow or green tint, possible admixture of pus.
- Allergies. Allergic rhinitis can be lengthy if the irritant is not removed from the baby’s life.
- Teething. During the emergence of new teeth in baby’s swollen gums. Between the mucous membrane of the nose and the oral cavity there is a direct relationship. Due to the increased blood circulation increases the production of mucus. The consistency is thin and transparent. Treatment with medication is not required.
- Physiological characteristic of the newborn. In children, the newly born, the mucous membrane has not yet adapted to the ambient air. The occurrence of rhinitis in the first 3 months of life absolutely fine. This type of nozzles do not need serious medical treatment and is not considered a pathology.
- Inappropriate use of vasoconstrictor medications. Some of the parents to ensure a comfortable sleep drip vasoconstrictor drugs uncontrollably. In the result, the nasal mucosa is too dry and gets used to the medication. After discontinuing the use of vasoconstrictor agents nasal breathing of the baby is disturbed.
- Pathology of the nasal septum. This feature of the structure of the parents still in the hospital or at the medical Commission.
What and how better to treat a lingering runny nose in a child?
For the treatment of prolonged rhinitis in children used complex methodology that includes:
- regular lavage of the nasopharynx;
- conduct steam inhalation;
- the use of vasoconstrictor drugs;
- the use of vitamin complexes;
- treatment of opportunistic diseases.
Treatment of rhinitis of any absolute, regardless of the cause of its appearance, begins with the creation of comfortable atmosphere in the room in which the baby resides.
Before to treat protracted cold medicines, you must ensure the following conditions:
- Humidity. For humidification you can use a special household humidifier. If it is not possible to buy it, then you can hang a wet sheet on the battery or hanging in the room the wet stuff.
- Temperature. Hot air adversely affects the mucosa of the nasal cavity of the child and also promotes the spread of infections. Check that the air temperature in the children’s room did not rise above 23 degrees.
- Ventilation. Open the Windows a few times during the day. Air flow improves microcirculation in the nasal cavity.
In the absence of elevated body temperature, in protracted cold useful a walk in the woods, Park and gardens. Stay in the fresh air strengthens the body’s defenses.
What drugs to use?
Most often, persistent runny nose is not a separate disease but merely a symptom. Treatment should be directed at the root cause. Drug therapy is an effective method, but you need to understand that not all types of rhinitis are treated with medications. For example, to resolve allergic rhinitis is sometimes quite regular wet cleaning.
Pediatricians to get rid of lingering runny nose in a child is prescribed the following medications:
- Rhinopront. Has vasoconstrictor and anti-allergic properties. Prescribed for any kind of runny nose by reducing the sensitivity of the walls of blood vessels. A single application is enough for 11-13 hours.
- For external use. It is used for colds and allergic rhinitis. Reduces swelling and relieves nasal congestion. Regular application is permitted from the age of 12.
- Sinupret. Used for colds. It is composed of herbal extracts. Suitable for the treatment of children.
- The Berberis-Homaccord. A homeopathic drug. Effective in the early stages of the disease, easier breathing.
- Cethrin. Used for allergies. Blocks certain prescriptions the nasal cavity.
Popular recipes from a lingering cold for children
What to do if you fail to visit the pharmacy? In some cases it is possible to cure a lingering cold at the child folk remedies.
Each formula is completely safe for the child, in the absence of Allergy to components included in the composition.
- Onions and vaseline. Dilute onion juice and mineral oil in a ratio of 1:5. To bury your nose 1-2 drops in each nostril morning and evening.
- Kalanchoe and aloe. Mix leaf juice of Kalanchoe, aloe, and pure water in equal proportions. Drip 3 drops in each nostril when you feel nasal congestion.
- Garlic. The scent of the garlic eliminates pathogenic microbes. Arrange the cloves of garlic in the room where the baby.
- Beets and carrots. Mix equal quantities of juice of carrot, beet and water. Bury the resulting composition 1-2 drops in each nostril in case of congestion.
Treatment of persistent rhinitis in children should be comprehensive.
Performing procedures in the home will help not only to get rid of unpleasant symptoms and speed up the healing process.
- Lavage of the nasopharynx. This simple procedure will quickly relieve nasal congestion. To do the washing using a small pear-syringe or Neti pots Neti pot. As a solution for rinsing the effective salt water, herbal infusions or prepared from the pharmacy.
- Heating of feet. Feet located in the zone associated with all bodies. Warm foot baths help to expand the vessels, improve blood flow and provide the flow of excess fluid from the site of inflammation. For the best effect in water, add a little mustard powder.
- Inhalation. Direct vapor exposure to the area of the nasopharynx produces a rapid therapeutic effect. You can purchase a special device for inhalation – nebulizer. As a medicinal solution is used in decoction of chamomile or sage. If the child is allergic, it is possible to breathe him in just a pair of hot water. In that case, if a nebulizer for treatments not then you can heat the part and pour it in the pan. During inhalation you need to cover baby with a blanket or towel and ask me to breathe the steam through your nose. Be careful, the water should cool down a bit, so as not to burn respiratory ways of the baby.
- Sticking plasters. In the pharmacies you can buy patches from the cold. They contain useful essential oils. This sticker you must attach to clothes. The child will breathe the drug since.
- Massage. Massaging the wings of the nose and improves blood circulation. The blood flow helps reduce inflammation.
What parents need to know before beginning treatment?
Regardless of the severity of the disease if the child has snot flowing for a long time is a reason to consult the pediatrician or otolaryngologist.
Be sure to consult your doctor if:
- the runny nose lasts more than 14 days;
- the child complains of discomfort above the eyebrows and around the nose;
- there is a strong headache;
- “clicks” in the ears and decreased hearing.
When self-treatment is not forget about the following rules:
- Don’t spend inhalations at an elevated temperature of the body.
- When severe nasal congestion flushing can not be done. This can cause any infection to the organs of hearing.
- Do not use undiluted aloe juice for the treatment of children.
- You can’t put a nose and a bow in the nasal passages of the child. The delicate mucosa of the nasal passages of the baby is not prepared for such aggressive substances.
- Do not use sprays to treat children up to 2 years.
- Do not use vasoconstrictor drugs for longer than 5 days.