If the child is not breathing nose, but snot is no longer than 10 days – it is urgent to consult with the ENT doctor.
The most common reasons that a child is not breathing nose, no snot, are:
- vasomotor rhinitis – a disease of an infectious or allergic nature, is expressed in inflammation of the nasal passages, as a result of their contraction, difficulty breathing;
- viral infection – also provokes swelling of the nasal mucosa, the nasal appears in the early stage of SARS, to the copious secretions (runny nose);
- forming adenoid or polyps – are the result of colds, when inflammatory processes become chronic;
- congenital anomalies of the body structure – deformation of the nasal septum, facial skeleton, tumor formation;
- injuries of the nose – if they entail the deformation of the nasal septum;
- prolonged use of vasoconstrictor drugs – the body “gets used” as a result, the mucous membrane swells more. Accompanied by fatigue, lethargy and headaches.
- the lack of humidity lack of moisture prevents the removal of mucus from the nasal passages, because it accumulates and provokes stuffy nose in children.
Important! Toddlers first six months have very narrow nasal passages, which become clogged with dried mucus, or breast milk. If the baby began to breathe through the mouth, not eating, cranky, you need to carefully clear his nasal passages.
Why is a child not breathing only one nostril?
If the child complains that it is hard to breathe only one nostril, and the second operates in the normal mode, this may be several reasons.
One of them is a deviated septum. Typically, this abnormality cannot be diagnosed until the child reaches three years of age. But the congestion in this case is chronic, because the curvature is removed only after a precise diagnosis can be confirmed and purely operational way – in other effects can be only short-term relief.
The second dry air in the room. If other signs of an infectious or allergic diseases no, this is the most likely cause. Mucous in the nasal passages should always allocate a certain amount of secret, and in a dry environment (humidity less than 60%) this function can’t execute. As a result, there is irritation of the mucous tissues, which makes possible the formation of edema. In this case, it can be scored as two nostrils, and one of them.
The third reason polyps. Their appearance and growth impeded the normal functioning of the upper respiratory tract, and since they are not symmetrical, and could not breathe in one nostril, not both at once.
Why stuffy nose while sleeping?
Sometimes children complain that they can’t breathe through my nose at night or in the morning, immediately after waking up. With the reason for such situation it is necessary to understand at once.
What it could be:
- Dry air. During wakefulness, children move from one room to another, on the street, then back home. During sleep they are in the same room and within the microclimate if it’s not comfortable enough, it can cause relevant problems. To avoid this, you need to install in the children’s bedroom measuring instrument – hygrometer, and in the heating period and in the peak of summer heat to additionally humidify the room.
- Insufficient elimination of mucus. In a vertical position mucus is displayed simply and quickly, in the horizontal this process significantly hampered. Of the mucus does not flow out, dripping down the throat into the lower respiratory tract, thereby causing laying nose. This is especially true with colds (rhinitis) when the amount of discharge increases significantly.
- Allergies. Allergies can cause fluff or feather (filler pillows, blankets), animal hair, lying on beds and bed mites (very common issue). With prolonged allergen contact with the mucosa swells, and there is difficulty breathing.
Identifying why the child stuffy nose during sleep, is not difficult to take effective measures to eliminate the causes.
How to break the baby’s nose?
Than to cure a baby? To help the child, “breakdown” congestion. To provoke the nasal passages for the excretion of mucus can be both mechanical and pharmacological methods. To mechanical of the pear-my or nasal aspirator: the tip of the tool is entered in the mortgaged nostril and gently is sucking air, and then and mucous plugs. Young children are shown this method, because it is more effective.
Also in situations when the nose does not breathe, and snot, not at all, to remove the accumulation of mucus help the flushing saline solution. 250 ml of water is taken 1 tsp of sea salt. Water (or saline) should be at room temperature. Salt thoroughly mixed in the liquid, then typed into the pipette and is buried in the nostril: infants, 1-2 drops at older children 2-4 drops. Also at the pharmacy you can buy prepared isotonic solution.
If we are talking about a child older than 7 years, it is possible to introduce a similar medicine with the help of bottle of spray: the pressure that is produced at the time of injection, stimulates the tube from the mucus to move. For the treatment of younger children to apply the sprays are not recommended as they can damage it is too thin the lining of the nasal passages.
If the child is not breathing nose, to treat the integrated application of two types of preparations: vasoconstrictor and saline solutions.
In the first category, the most effective are “Glycine” and “Glycine, Alergi” (it is used to relieve allergic edema),”.”, “Naphazoline”, “Gasolin”. So as not to cause adaptation of the organism and thus do not degrade the health of the child, apply one medication can be no longer than 3 days, then – if the swelling is not gone completely – it must be replaced by an analogue with a different active ingredient.
Pharmacy saline solutions are manufactured mainly of salt, taken in the Mediterranean or Dead seas, and distilled water. It is drugs such as “Marimer”, “Humer”, “no-Sol”. They can be used not only for congestion, but also for the prophylactic cleaning of the nasal passages of mucus.
If parents prefer traditional medicine or want to achieve maximum results in a short time, is to learn about what measures are effective for nasal congestion in children.
In addition to the previously described salt solution, in rhinitis without snot from child help:
- hot bath for the feet – heat rises from the feet and above, hydrating the body from the inside, and a pair of hot water to penetrate immediately into the mucosa, because the result occurs immediately and lasts for quite some time: if you do a hot bath before bed, the breath will be calm until the morning;
- inhalation of decoction of potatoes – boil the roots “in uniform”, remove from the pan, and the utensils to make a water bath, armed with a thick towel. But this option is only suitable for neat and pretty adult children, because the only effective hot broth;
- massage pillow brush – they are located on the hands under the base of thumb. It is known that each point on the hands has a connection with certain organs, massage pillow brush beneficial effects on the upper respiratory tract;
- Kalanchoe juice – freshly picked leaf of this plant is fold in half, squeezing out the juice. A drop, introduced into the nostril, it is sufficient that the child began to sneeze, and sneezing, together with of the nasal passages will be displayed and the accumulation of mucus.
The General situation
It is important to remember that a child may occasionally breathe with my mouth. But he should not do it all the time: the air entering the body through nasal passages and then drilling down through the nasopharynx, while this movement is cleaned, warmed and moistened. When breathing through the mouth, these qualities will not be because a high probability, at least, buy colds.
In the treatment of congestion of the nasal passages clean swelling – this will increase the clearance, and therefore more air can be ingested. Simultaneously working to eliminate the causes that led to the development of a congestion.
If the nose of the child is not breathing, treatment must appoint a physician. When properly selected drug exposure can be achieved deterioration and complications in the functioning of the paranasal sinuses, middle ear, lungs and bronchi.
The best prevention nasal congestion – high immunity and optimal climatic conditions:
- the air temperature in the nursery should be at least 20oC;
- humidity not lower than 60%;
- definitely need regular wet cleaning and airing;
- a daily walk at least 1 hour in the cold season and 3 in warm;
- drinking regime for children older than 3 years at least 1 liter of water per day;
- the use of vitamin complexes during the period of SARS;
- hygiene of the nasal cavity.
Quickly noticed stuffy nose in most cases (except for anatomical reasons) is eliminated quickly and without much difficulty for the child. Correct breathing is not just comfortable, but also important for health, When children have a clogged nose – most importantly, promptly see a doctor to understand how to properly treat the disease.