If the cold starting is not to be ignored, it can develop into sinusitis. This disease is more complex, and in this case have a long treatment.
Its basic features are:
- the deterioration or complete loss of smell;
- obstruction of nasal breathing;
- often – purulent discharge;
- discomfort in the nose and near the nose;
- the pain in his forehead and the bridge of your nose when tilting the head down;
- the increase in body temperature;
- heaviness in the head;
- pressing pain in eyeballs;
- reduction in tone of voice.
All this leads to a significant deterioration of health, increased irritability, insomnia. However, to say that you have a sinusitis, without that photograph, x-ray equipment it is impossible – there can only really reliably confirm the diagnosis.
Independently it is extremely rare, so it is highly recommended to treat. But it is important to determine the exact type of the disease – only in this case the treatment will be effective.
How to identify sinusitis viral or bacterial nature?
This disease there are several types of pathogens. The most common viral and bacterial sinusitis. Understanding the signs of the disease, you can learn to distinguish the types of the disease yourself.
The viral form is most often the result of respiratory viral infections and cure the disease is for 2-3 weeks. Often viral sinusitis is a bilateral and non-purulent. Approximately 2% of cases of viral disease can develop into a more complex type and bacterial.
If the background of reduced immunity in the body gets malware bacterial microflora in 1-2 week after the start of acute rhinitis, it can develop into bacterial sinusitis. Pathogenic bacteria can penetrate to the maxillary sinus due to diseases of the oral cavity – the teeth and jaws (the roots of the teeth border on their walls, because if there are problems with the teeth, the inflammatory process in the maxillary sinuses spread quickly).
If sinusitis is not more than 3 weeks – it is definitely a bacterial form of the disease.
How to recognize sinusitis acute and chronic forms?
Acute sinusitis occurs mainly in the season of frequent colds in the autumn and spring.
In most cases it is viral, appears in the background of a simple runny nose that is getting worse:
- purulent secretions (sometimes even with a splash of blood);
- pain in the region of the maxillary sinus, or both sinuses immediately;
- increase in body temperature to 37-38onP.
All this is accompanied by the deterioration of the smell and appearance of the nasal in his voice. With adequate treatment of such a disease is in a period of 1 month.
The chronic form is not as obvious symptoms because patients do not immediately realize that it is in the disease and do not seek medical help.
Signs of chronic disease include:
- long-lasting colds (more than 3 weeks) that won’t go away with traditional treatment;
- headaches and pains deep in the sockets;
- frequent conjunctivitis in both eyes;
- chronic cough with excretion of sputum.
All of these symptoms and long term diseases say that on their own with the disease are unable to handle for effective results it is necessary comprehensive treatment chosen by the specialist.
How to identify sinusitis at home – what are the ways?
The most informative method of diagnosis is radiography of the maxillary sinuses. But it is necessary to visit the clinic, get a referral, x-rays and wait for the result. How else to understand that you have sinusitis? Many people wonder how to diagnose sinus infection by yourself at home? In “home-based” diagnostics, reliability of result, of course, not 100%, but it is also very high.
Knowledge of methods of self-diagnosis is important because often begins as a typical viral cold or allergic rhinitis. It seems easy, passing disease, why it has not been given due attention. Eventually acquired complications, and treatment becomes more complex and lengthy.
How to identify sinusitis:
- With the development of the disease there is discomfort at the same time in the nose, the nose, the frontal and temporal areas.
- Discomfort in the morning weak, almost missing, but the evening is increasing significantly.
- When tilting the head forward, felt a sharp pain in the cheeks, brow and forehead areas.
But recognize sinusitis at home does not always work: a number of respiratory diseases have the same symptoms, because it is better to consult an ENT specialist – he will deliver accurate diagnosis and prescribe optimal treatment.
How to understand that sinusitis began to pass
To understand whether the treatment is effective, by how quickly relief comes. We are talking about the specific symptoms of this disease (such as stuffy nasal passages, pus, worsening of smell), and the General well-being (insomnia, irritability).
Telltale signs that the body is on the path of recovery, are:
- normalization of body temperature – it either returns to the level of 36.6on, or remains on a low – grade mark- to 37.2oC;
- decrease in mucosal secretions and reducing the concentration of pus in them is well-tracked when washing the nasal passages;
- no pain when tilting the head down, but may persist for a feeling of tightness and mild discomfort.
It is important to remember that at the first signs of improvement should not stop the treatment, it should last until, until full recovery.
How to understand what sinusitis is completely cured
Understand that sinusitis was (especially if it was a chronic handicap) is certainly nice. Immediately I felt relief and improves mood. In adults, recovery is characterized by the cessation of the cold and return to good health.
How to know that the disease is passed:
- clean restored nasal breathing;
- returns the sense of smell;
- the timbre of the voice is the same;
- appears appetite;
- sleep at night becomes a long and continuous;
- improves overall mood.
But it’s all conditional features. Even if the patient thinks he has recovered, clearly say that only after certain manipulations. Accurately diagnosed, a cure can only be through an x-ray picture: in a healthy organism the maxillary sinus appear dark color. If they are light, which means that they contain purulent mucus (in the absence of runny nose even worse, because it requires a puncture).
Only otolaryngologist, based on personal inspection and the results of the image, can check whether the sinusitis or the body is completely cured of the disease.