In certain diseases of the inflammatory nature doctors strongly recommend to do a blood test for antistreptolysin O or the OILS, which is a marker of susceptibility to rheumatoid changes. If this figure is elevated, it is assigned a special treatment. So what is the OILS and what does it mean if it was raised – let’s try to understand these complicated things.
First of all, the norm of this survey is equal to zero, the antibodies are not detected. This means that the patient is missing a streptococcal infection, and he had not faced during the last 6 months. Figures depend on how analysis is and how to observe the advice given to the patient. Often there are false positives on the background of the abuse of spicy and salty food, alcoholic beverages on the eve of blood donation.
What is antistreptolysin?
ASLO is a blood test, which is included in the package of so-called revmedia. What is the antistreptolysin in the diagnosis of probable rheumatoid changes? This is one of the markers that suggest the presence of heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis or to predict their occurrence in the future. In the study of blood laboratory detected antibodies to the Streptococcus, which in large amounts produces the human immune system. For their products the infection. With these representatives of the coccal flora every person faces constantly. But the immune system reflects the attack still “on the way” – the bacteria do not have time to penetrate the mucous membranes and the epidermis. Therefore, they do not emit in the course of their life toxins.
The antistreptolysin – the substance that could neutralize the toxins, not the bacteria themselves. Accordingly, these antibodies in the analysis always mean 100% chance of infection and the presence of Streptococcus in the body of the patient. Once the infection will be suppressed by antimicrobial therapy, an analysis will immediately be back to normal.
To do primary research it is recommended that a month later after suffering upper respiratory infections, antibody titers gradually begins to increase from the end of the 4th week and reaches its maximum by the end of 6th week. After treatment re-examination makes sense to do only six months later – it was during that period a full recovery.
Indications for use of this blood test include:
- the defeat of large joints of unknown etiology (arthritis, arthrosis, back pain);
- acute and chronic tonsillitis and adenoiditis;
- the bacterial form of pharyngitis, nasopharyngitis, laryngitis and tracheitis;
- all forms of rhinitis and sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses);
- scarlet fever, lacunar, follicular, and purulent forms of angina.
ASLO included in the compulsory program of examination in the detection of myocarditis, glomerulonephritis, rheumatism in acute and chronic form. At follow-up examination is held 2 times a year before the start of anti-relapse treatment.
How to do a blood test for antistreptolysin O (guidelines and rules)
There are guidelines and rules of conducting such laboratory studies. They need to observe strictly, as deviation is fraught with distortion of the results.
How to do a blood test for antistreptolysin O, supposed to tell the doctor when issuing a direction, but will describe the highlights.
- Blood sampling is performed only on an empty stomach (12 hours before this moment I do not eat and even water).
- Biological material is taken from a vein using a disposable syringe with a volume of 10 ml. is necessary to clarify the need to carry a disposable syringe.
- 8 hours before giving blood you can’t take any drugs. In the case where the necessary constant maintenance therapy, this point should be discussed with your doctor.
- If carried out the antibacterial or antimicrobial therapy, including relapse prevention, to do research can not earlier than after 3 weeks.
- During the period of training (2-3 days) should be excluded from the diet sweet and flour dishes, meat, fatty, spicy and salty food.
- 4 days prior to analysis requires a complete refusal to accept any alcoholic beverages.
In some cases, treatment is required?
Normally, this indicator negative blood not detected antibodies. KV which cases require antimicrobial treatment? All, without exception, when antistreptolysin O (ASLO) was determined in the blood in all the credits and concentrations. For therapy individually chosen group of drugs and their dosage. The adult is mainly used “Ampicillin”, “Amoxiclav” or “Augmentin” 500 – 1000 mg 2 times a day for 10 days. In addition, during treatment it is recommended to take at night, an antihistamine, for example, “Suprastin” 1 tablet.
Also for the purpose of active prevention of rheumatic fever are required to take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. This files most often assigned to acetylsalicylic acid 500 mg 3 times a day for 7 days. It can be replaced by products based on metamizol sodium or ibuprofen.
It is important to support the immune system and normal balance of the intestinal microflora.
To restore the body’s defenses, we can recommend the following medications:
- Echinacea tincture 15 to 20 drops per reception 3 times a day for 20 days;
- “Immunal” 30 drops 2 times a day for 4 weeks;
- “Wobenzym” effectively restores the immune system, improves intestinal microflora and accelerates the death of the Streptococcus under the influence of antibiotic, take 3-4 tablets 3 times a day for 20 to 25 days.
For intestinal microflora may be advisable “Acipol”, “Lactobacterin”, “hilak-Forte” or “Linex”. Eat more dairy products such as sour cream, kefir, fermented baked milk, cottage cheese, etc.