Pain, cramps, burning and other uncomfortable unpleasant sensations in the urethra can bother both men and women. They can be of different nature and occur before, during or after the process of urination.
Furthermore, sometimes such a phenomenon is not dependent on urine output. What can cause a similar symptom and how to get rid of the discomfort?
With few exceptions, in most cases, the causes are the same for both sexes.
This may be the following condition:
- Inflammation of the urethra – urethritis, with non-specific nature. It can cause enterococci, Haemophilus or Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus, Klebsiella, pathogenic fungi.
- Infection-specific flora – Mycoplasma, Trichomonas, gonococci, chlamydia.
- Movement concrement formations in the urethra that accompanies kidney stone disease.
- The inflammatory process in the prostate gland (a common ailment in men).
- Inflammation of the genitals in women.
- The appearance of tumors in the urogenital region.
- Damage to the mechanical origin, arising in the process of medical examinations with the introduction of the instrument into the urethra.
- Impact on systems and organs of toxins or studies.
- Pathology associated with impaired immunity.
When the disease act of urination is accompanied by soreness and pain, a process often hampered
All of the above reasons lead to the development of pathological processes in the tissues of the urethra and the emergence of foci of inflammation that is accompanied by pain and uncomfortable sensations.
And since the female urethra inferior to the length of a man’s, but surpasses it in width, with the ladies, this kind of illnesses occur more often.
Because of the peculiarities of the anatomical structure urethritis in women can lead to complications – the spread of the infection upward to other organs of the urinary system
The likelihood of discomfort in the urethra above, if there are multiple risk factors, for example, if there is catheterization of the urethra against the background of reduced immunity.
When passing large stones through the urethra in 100% of cases develop urethritis.
What signs are accompanied by disease of the urethra?
Discomfort in the urethra – it is an alarming sign when the time came that you should consult with a specialist.
For the doctor it is important to know the characteristics of symptoms, their duration and period of occurrence:
- If a sharp attack of pain occurred, when the urine is passed through the channel and the urinating stopped, the most likely culprit is the concretion blocking the lumen of the channel. In this case, may be sick, when the person walks or sits.
- When the pain came from the man after a full urination, it could be a stone stuck at the end portion of the urethra.
- If pain, discomfort lasting throughout the process of urination, then developed a bladder infection.
Despite the similarities, each pathological condition is accompanied by specific symptoms.
Table 1. Symptoms of different types of urethritis
|The acute form of nonspecific urethritis||Itching, tingling and other unpleasant sensations in the urethra arise as during urination, and without it;
patient suffer from recurrent pain in the groin or pubic area;
in the urine there is blood or purulent admixture.
|Gonorrheal urethritis||Urination becomes painful, there is pain. Similar symptoms after prolonged delay the process.|
|Trichomonas urethritis||This infection causes discomfort in the urethra;
There is a burning sensation and itching in the area of genitals;
In the case of the transition of the acute form of the disease in the chronic severe symptoms passes.
|Candida urethritis||Urination is accompanied by tenderness;
From the urethra is allocated exudate whitish-pink hue viscous, thick consistency.
|Chlamydial urethritis||There is itching and pain when urinating, but not strongly pronounced;
discharge from the urethra with purulent admixture is one of the main signs of infection with chlamydia.
Almost all types of chronic urethritis occur without pronounced symptoms or have no signs.
Diagnosis for pain in the urethra
First of all, it is worth noting that when the pain in the urethra need to see a doctor-urologist. It is in his competence for research and treatment of this system.
A urologist deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the urinary system, genitals in men, pathological conditions of the adrenal glands and other diseases in the retroperitoneal space
Be sure the doctor talks with the patient, finding out details about when the symptoms started, how they are expressed, and other nuances.
Then conducted the medical examination on which the expert evaluates the condition of the external genitalia, urethra and lymph nodes located in the groin area.
He pays special attention to the following symptoms:
- redness of the skin and mucous tissues;
- the strengthening of the figure of the capillaries;
- presence and character of discharge;
- pain and swelling of the lymph nodes etc.
It is also important that the results of laboratory tests.
The patient passes the following tests:
- Urinalysis – for kidney stone disease the urine will show elevated levels of salts, and if the inflammatory process proceeds, it will be detected leukocytes, pathogens, and in some cases, red blood cells;
- A common blood test for inflammation reveal a high leukocyte count and an increase in the sedimentation velocity of leukocytes.
- Urine test for pot sowing identifies the type of pathogen, vaseela it on a nutrient medium and helps to choose appropriate antibacterial agent.
- A number of tests for identifying sexually transmitted diseases, if there is a suspicion of their presence.
To detect STDs, the patient is recommended to do some tests
In some cases, women were appointed ultrasound examination of organs located in the pelvis. By ultrasound, the doctor checks whether the cause of pain of the urethra malignant or benign tumor or other pathological condition.
Only finding out the full picture of the disease, the doctor can say exactly what caused the pain in the urethra in men or women, and diagnosis.
Is it possible to get rid of these symptoms?
The urologist will prescribe a treatment that depends on what was the root cause of discomfort in the urethra. If it hurts the urethra due to kidney stones disease, one focus of treatment is removal of stones and sand beyond the urinary system.
When the pain and discomfort in the urethra associated with prostatitis or BPH, the main goal of treatment is the elimination of these pathological conditions. No matter if you are talking about primary or secondary form of urethritis, the treatment plan includes three areas.
Elimination of pathogenic microorganisms causing inflammation.
In infectious disease it is important to identify the type of germ and the appropriate antibiotics
The main method of fighting infection reception of antibacterial agents. After receiving the results of urine culture, the doctor prescribes antibiotic. Without such analysis specialists may prescribe medication of the last generation with a broad spectrum of action.
In the form of non-specific urethritis are effective the following drugs:
- Amoxiclav (substitutes, Augmentin, Sumamed, Panklav);
- Ciprofloxacin (analogs – cipro, Tsifran, Ciplox, Afrexim);
- Norfloxacin (analogs – Norbaktin, Nolicin, Normaks);
- MONORAL (analogs – Urofosfabol, Vomitin, Monuril).
In each case, the doctor individually selects whether the tool is for oral administration, intravenous injection or for administration into the urethra. In the case of the treatment of specific urethritis are also used antibacterial drugs.
Table No. 2. Antibiotics in the various types of the pathogen of urethritis
|Gonococcus||Cefixime (Ceftriaxone) and other drugs from the macrolides or floxacino.|
Elimination of unpleasant symptoms – pain, burning, discomfort that occurs in the urethra and mild intoxication effect.
Symptomatic therapy includes taking pain medications. When mild pain syndrome patient is prescribed the reorganization of the urethra. It’s baths with herbal decoctions, which eliminate irritation, burning and other unpleasant phenomena.
If urethritis is recommended baths with decoctions of herbs that have strong anti-inflammatory effect – chamomile, sage, mint
If the disease is accompanied by fever above 38, it is recommended to take an antipyretic – Paracetamol, Ibuprofen.
Preventive measures that prevent the spread of infection to other areas and organs. In this case we are talking about strengthening the immune system – receiving immunomodulating and immunostimulating agents that are assigned a specialist.
If the patient seek medical assistance at later stages of the disease, it is not always antibiotics allows to eliminate the pathology. Then acute form of the disease becomes more chronic and require long and laborious treatment.
Experts recommend that if there is an unpleasant sensation in the urethra, we should not ignore them or self-medicate, and seek qualified help. This will allow you to quickly cure the disease and keep health.