Action symptomatic treatment of heartburn and gastritis called antacids, based on the fast neutralization of the acid by chemical means. Absorbable antacids are not much different from the usual baking soda – interact with hydrochloric acid, forming salts that penetrate into the blood, and carbon dioxide.
Although they work very quickly, the positive effect is short-lived, because carbon dioxide stimulates the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach (“acid rebound”), and gas reflux. In addition, the residual salts have a negative effect on the chemical balance of the body, so prolonged use of such drugs is limited and must be coordinated with the attending physician. One of the few remaining in pharmacies drugs of this type – Rennie, which is a mixture of carbonates of calcium and magnesium.
Nonabsorbable antacids are slower but longer effect – up to 3 hours. They do not emit carbon dioxide, most of the reaction products with hydrochloric acid is released through the intestines with the feces.
There are several subspecies of
1. The most famous remedies for heartburn and gastritis on the basis of a mixture of hydroxides of aluminium and magnesium Maalox, Almagel, Alyumag, Gastal, Gastracid. Impair the absorption of phosphorus and is contraindicated in patients with diseased kidneys.
2. Cure for gastritis with aluminum phosphate, the aluminium phosphate gel, Alphagel, Gasteren. These funds begin to suppress the acidity only when you exceed its physiological level in the rest of the time performing only enveloping and adsorbing functions. Consequences of long term uncontrolled use of the deficiency of different important minerals and related diseases.
3. Preparations based on alginates e.g. gaviscon. The chemical action in this case is of secondary importance, the main is the formation of a protective originalimage gel barrier without disruption of the digestive functions. This specialized medication for heartburn, efficient first and foremost, for diseases that are not associated directly with acidity.
Heartburn is a burning sensation in the esophagus caused by stomach acid. Healthy people rarely heartburn hurts because esophageal mucosa can easily stand rare short casts of stomach contents. But factors such as stomach cramps because of ulcers or gastritis, increased gastric acidity, esophagitis, gastroesophageal reflux disease, lead to the accumulation of damage and exacerbation of pain with each subsequent attack. Therefore, in the treatment of heartburn used two groups of drugs – remedies for the relief of seizure and medication for the underlying disease.
In medical practice for relief of severe heartburn and gastritis most commonly prescribed antacid Gel. Main active ingredient, aluminium hydroxide not only reduces acidity, but also coats the mucosa with a protective layer, removing the pain within 5-10 minutes after taking. Auxiliary magnesium hydroxide forms salts, which are partly absorbed and limit the duration of treatment, but their use is necessary to prevent constipation caused by the aluminum salts. As disposable tools perfectly shows itself in adults and children aged one month. There are options Almagel with carminative and anesthetic effect.
Heartburn gastritis with low acidity is treated by medications that accelerate the withdrawal of stomach contents into the intestines Motilium, Motilal, Domperidone, Reglan, Metoclopramide and others. These tools penetrate the blood brain barrier and can cause, especially in children, impairment of cognitive functions, therefore, their appointment can only be done by a doctor.
Heartburn is installed on a background of gastritis with high acidity or stomach ulcer is adjusted by the doctor as part of treatment of the underlying disease with the help of one or two antisecretory drugs. In modern medicine, used two groups:
1. Proton pump inhibitors (PPIS) – drugs Omeprazole, Pantoprazole, Lansoprazole, Rabeprazol and others. Excellent job with the suppression of the production of hydrochloric acid, have significant term actions (24-72 hours). Side effects occur rarely, after the abolition of the acidity level rises slowly. This group is not administered to children, pregnant and lactating mothers.
2. Blockers H2-histamine receptors Ranitidine, Famotidine and medication for heartburn and gastritis based on them. Reduce the overall output as digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid. The main advantages of these drugs – very low price and the absence of absolute contraindications. Disadvantages – possible very serious side effects arise after the abolition of the “acid rebound”. When genetic resistance to STI are the only way of therapy.
In Russian medicine often produce the treatment of gastritis or heartburn with Omeprazole – cheapest and most effective of STIs. The drug may be administered in combination with any antacids and blockers of H2 – histamine receptors, the effective composition of antibiotic therapy for extermination of Helicobacter pylori. An hour after the first dose Omeprazole starts to reduce the production of hydrochloric acid, after 2 hours, the result reaches a maximum, a day later – is weakened by 50 %, continuing to work for another 72 hours. Medication take 20 mg of 1 times a day, a steady concentration is achieved after 4 days. Other names Omeprazole – Losec, Ultop, Omez, Gastrozol and so on.
What should be avoided in the treatment of heartburn?
1. Excess obesity in the Central part of the abdomen leads to a permanent pressure on the stomach and heartburn. Possibly you need to reduce your body mass index (weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters) to 30 or less.
2. Avoid tight clothes and belts, the belly should be as free as possible.
3. After a meal will have an hour to refrain from making horizontal and inclined positions. This applies to both rest and work. Lower the head below the stomach is generally not recommended as too much to overtax your muscles.
4. Gastritis maintain a period of not less than 4 hours between dinner and bedtime. If heartburn still hurts, raise the torso while you sleep at 15-20 cm.
5. Smoking, alcohol contribute to the development of gastritis and other diseases, leading to heartburn. Nicotine has a dual action – constricts the capillaries, causing hypoxia of the mucosa, and stimulates the production of acid. About addiction, it is desirable to forget.
6. Avoid overeating, eat regularly, at least three times a day. If there is an established cause of heartburn – gastritis or ulcer, it is recommended that at least four meals.
Refrain from gastritis foods that stimulate excess acid secretion, coffee, soda, strong tea, cocoa, chocolate, spicy, salty, pickled, smoked, fried, sour. Limit fatty, canned food. For irritable heartburn of the esophagus can be dangerous too hot, cold, gross food.