There are many reasons for stomach pain after a meal. In most cases, they are associated with pathologies of the digestive system. Many of these diseases require immediate medical intervention.
Often pain syndrome accompanied by heartburn, belching, bloating, nausea, vomiting, weakness and other discomfort.
Pain in the stomach has a different etiology and intensity. It can be quite strong, similar to a punch dagger, or aching. It is described as burning, pulling, stabbing, cutting. Often the manifestation of pain caused by eating. It occurs immediately after eating, and after a certain time.
Causes of discomfort
Characteristics of pain (the place of its localization, intensity and time dependence from eating the food) play an important role in the diagnosis of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Similar to the meaning of the additional symptoms and their severity.
1. Sometimes the reason that the stomach becomes banal overeating. The same feeling causes eating spicy or salty food.
But mostly the appearance of pain in region of stomach, provoked the following pathology:
- inflammatory diseases of the gastrointestinal tract (esophagitis, gastritis, duodenitis, enteritis, colitis);
- pancreatitis (inflammation of pancreas);
- ulcer of stomach and duodenum;
- diseases of the liver and the gall bladder (cholecystitis, cholelithiasis, cirrhosis, hepatitis);
- functional disorders of the stomach and intestines;
- cancer of the digestive system.
2. Often stomach aches when there are ulcers. The concomitant symptoms of this disease are nausea, vomiting, heartburn, belching, upset appetite. Pain characteristics depend on the localization of ulcers. If the disease affected cardiac region of the stomach, unpleasant sensations appear immediately after ingestion and is projected on the area of the xiphoid process.
Pain after 30-40 minutes after eating due to the ulcers in the body of the stomach. They are localized in the epigastric region (left) and subside when the food ball moves into the duodenum. Defeat pyloric late is accompanied by pain in the stomach (1.5 – 2 hours after eating). Similar features characterize and duodenal ulcer.
Sometimes the disease affects multiple divisions of the stomach. In this case, the pain syndrome is present almost constantly. Its intensity depends on the age and presence of complications. In children ulcer is rare. Peptic ulcer disease has remission and exacerbation, usually associated with the changing seasons (summer – autumn, spring – winter). This pathology never go unnoticed. After treatment and healing of ulcers on their site scarring. If a lot of them, it may be pyloric stenosis.
Ulcer deadly in case of perforation. This forms a hole in the stomach or duodenum and their contents enters the peritoneal cavity. Appear sharp pain (stabbing), nausea, vomiting, pale skin, tense muscles of the abdomen, fever. Ulcer perforation requires immediate surgical intervention. If the person refuses to do the operation very quickly developed peritonitis and death. Sometimes the ulcer has an atypical shape. Pain may be absent or appear in unexpected places (in the heart area or lower back). The reason for this course of the disease is not fully understood.
3. The stomach after a meal starts to hurt and in the presence of gastritis in which the inflamed mucosa it. It can occur with high, low and normal gastric acidity. Has additional symptoms such as burping, heartburn, nausea. Chronic gastritis is accompanied by aching, due to violations of the diet. They appear after 20 to 30 minutes after a meal. This raises the feeling of fullness and sick. Burning pain and heartburn is characteristic for gastritis with high acidity.
4. If there are pains in the umbilical region, causes often associated with diseases of the intestine. These include:
5. Infants often suffer from intestinal colic associated with increased flatulence. Hard and often crying baby can “yell at” yourself a hernia.
6. In acute appendicitis the character and location of the discomfort can be very diverse. Inflammation of the cecum is usually accompanied by rise of temperature, nausea, dry mouth, tachycardia. Cramping pain, aggravated by pressure. Appendicitis is not treated, and immediately do the operation, during which the Appendix is removed.
7. Gallstone disease causes acute pain of high intensity in the epigastric region. They appear in the movement of stone in the bile ducts.
8. If you have a stomach ache after a meal consisting of fatty foods, it can be caused by an attack of acute pancreatitis. It is the name of a disease of the pancreas. In this case, the strong encircling pain is accompanied by weakness and dizziness, fever. Sick sick, vomiting at the time it alleviates symptoms. Pain subside somewhat in the sitting position leaning forward. Reduce their can putting a heating pad with ice on the area of the pancreas. With acute pancreatitis require urgent medical attention.
A visit to the doctor for any discomfort in the abdomen. To arrest her at home, not by identifying the cause, life threatening.
The dangerous disease
Pain in the abdomen, especially intense, always indicates serious disorders in the body, often dangerous to life. Such pathologies include:
1. Strangulated hernia. Threatens to necrosis of the organs that form it (intestines, esophagus). To cure (to the right) strangulated hernia impossible. In this case, it is necessary surgery.
2. Perforated ulcer. In this pathology the contents of the stomach or duodenum (hydrochloric acid, bile, poluperiferiinye food) enters the abdominal cavity. There is a strong burn, and then developed peritonitis. Treatment is possible only surgically.
3. Gastrointestinal bleeding can cause significant blood loss (not always a stomach ache). Depending on the severity of the pathology the treatment is both therapeutic and surgical.
4. Inflammation of the Appendix cecum. The discomfort is localized on the right side of the abdomen below. If the Appendix is not timely removed, it may burst, resulting in peritonitis develop.
5. Volvulus. In this pathology violated the transit of feces, blood and inflamed peritoneum.
6. Cholelithiasis. The movement of the stones causes blockage of the bile ducts and cause acute cholecystitis.
7. Acute pancreatitis can lead to necrosis of pancreatic tissue, hemorrhage, zagnoenie.
8. Acute cholecystitis (inflammation of gallbladder). Pain syndrome is felt in the right hypochondrium. Cholecystitis dangerous for its complications: liver abscess, peritonitis, biliary sepsis.
- 1. Stomach pain caused by acute gastritis, duodenitis or ulcer disease, cropped antispasmodics (no-Spa, Papaverine, Platifillin, Buscopan, Gastrozepin). They help to relieve spasm of smooth muscles. They are used in intestinal colic.
- 2. The child for relief of pain caused by bloating, give Smektu and put a warm diaper on a stomach.
- 3. To reduce the pain caused by the irritant action of hydrochloric acid, capable of drugs that block its secretion (Omeprazole, Nexium, Lance, Pariet) or means of suppressing the production of gastric juices (Ranitidine, Histadyl, Nizatidine, Famotidine).
- 4. To cure inflammation of the mucous membranes and reduce pain help antacid with an enveloping effect (Almagel, Maalox, Gastal, Vikalin, aluminium phosphate gel).
Treatment of such medication is the doctor, with the attendant symptoms. Prolonged unsupervised use of these drugs increases the risk of gastrointestinal infections.
What should I do if after eating abdominal pain? You first need to change the diet and go on a healthy diet. If there are diseases of the digestive system, you should follow a proper diet and regimen recommended by your doctor. When severe pain is necessary to call an ambulance.