The shape distinguish short-term, temporary and chronic constipation. Short-term often does not require the intervention of doctors to cure it at home – pharmacy drugs or folk remedies.
Temporary and chronic forms – the reason for the examination, which will help to identify the cause and prescribe appropriate treatment. Causes of constipation are linked in a variety of factors. Constipation can be a result of malnutrition, surgery, chronic diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, a sedentary lifestyle, suffering stress. Treatment is prescribed depending on the causes and forms of disease. Constipation why it happens and what are the features? How to get rid of it at home?
Constipation or constipation is a condition characterized by the complete absence of defecation (the process of bowel movements) or partial bowel movement feeling of incomplete bowel cleansing. Bloating, flatulence, difficulty urinating “great need”. This unpleasant condition is exposed to absolutely all pregnant women and newborn babies, youth and the elderly, children and adolescents, people at a Mature age.
Constipation occurs for many different reasons.
- Improper nutrition (a lack in the diet of foods high in fiber, lots of heavy food of animal origin).
- A sedentary lifestyle.
- Insufficient fluid in the body.
- The effects of surgical interventions (removal of the gallbladder, operations on the intestines).
- Chronic disease of the stomach or intestines (ulcers, gastritis, pancreatitis, hemorrhoids, inflammation of the rectum).
- Long-term treatment with antibiotics.
- Congenital or acquired abnormalities of the intestine.
These factors, as well as the neglect of their health can cause the development of chronic constipation.
1. Constipation in the elderly.
Studies show that the bulk of people suffering from constipation the elderly and men and women aged 25 to 40 years. In developed countries constipation is one of the most common problems. The people there eat low-calorie refined food, are often subjected to stress at home and at work, don’t bother to physical exercise. According to studies, older people suffer from constipation in 4-5 times more often in young people. The reason for that aging, chronic diseases, male and female menopause.
For constipation is characterized by such symptoms:
- The feeling of the tube in the rectum.
- Nausea, vomiting.
- Strong attempts when attempting bowel movement.
- Difficulty in bowel movement.
- The long absence of defecation.
- A small amount of stool, followed by feeling of incomplete emptying of the bowel.
If any such indication appeared for the first time, it is likely that short-term constipation which can be treated at home. If such symptoms occur constantly or does not stop for a long period of time is chronic constipation, and should be treated under medical supervision. Delayed treatment is fraught with severe intoxication.
2. Disease in infants.
On constipatio in newborns can indicate the following symptoms:
- the odor of the chair;
- loss of appetite and increased anxiety;
- redness and attempts during attempted defecation;
- urging the legs during the meal.
If the mother noticed the child has such symptoms, the first thing she needs to do is contact the pediatrician. Causes of constipatio newborns were totally different in nature, and may determine their specialist. It can be diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, and poor nutrition of the mother, and poor-quality dairy mix. Another reason – immature nervous system. A large percentage of kids are born with nedorazvitie nerve endings of the stomach wall, a result of bad food is pushed into the intestine.
The phenomenon of pathology is not considered, and, as a rule, to two months of age the digestive process back to normal. If the child is older than two months has a chronic form of constipatio, it says anything about the diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, or hormonal disorders, or the improper diet of the mother. If the cause in the diet, women need to avoid foods that cause constipation in your baby. And in cases the doctor will prescribe appropriate treatment to eliminate the problem of defecation, and its root cause.
3. Constipation in women.
One of the causes of constipation in women is the occurrence of childbearing age and hormonal changes in the body. Often problems with bowel movement is accompanied by premenstrual syndrome – while some women in this period suffer from a disorder of the chair, while others complain of bloating and constipation. The reason for that is hormonal changes during the menstrual cycle. It also suffer from constipation and expectant mothers. In addition to hormones in a pregnant constipation can be caused by pressure of the uterus on the intestine. Being in an interesting position, the woman should begin treatment, because constipation is not only unpleasant, but also triggers stress, which can negatively impact on the health of the unborn child.
In addition, constipation increases the risk of intoxication, and it is also not good for fetal development. Since pregnant women are limited in the choice of medicines, it is better not to risk and not to be treated independently at home and to consult a doctor and he will prescribe the right treatment, does not threaten the health of mother and child. Even the herbal remedies that often do not have contraindications during pregnancy, it is advisable to use only after a visit to a specialist.
Treatment of constipation consists in removing the symptoms and further eliminate the root causes. Short-term constipation can be cured at home without going to a health facility.
For getting rid of the symptoms there are many laxatives which are distinguished in the following categories:
- non-digestible carbohydrates;
1. Irritants (But, Guttalaks) made from natural herbal ingredients, which by mechanical irritation of the receptors of the colon stimulate its peristalsis. Action times a day, helps with acute (short-term) of constipatio.
2. Osmotic drugs (Forlax) contain polyethylene glycol, contributing to the detention of body fluids, softening of fecal masses and their free access to the outdoors. Such means are shown and in acute food poisoning.
3. Non-digestible carbohydrates, they are also laxatives prebiotics (Relax, Duphalac) is not digested in the stomach and into the intestines and create conditions favorable for the formation of healthy lactic acid microflora. They relate to a mild laxative, which are used not only for constipation but also to the surgery. For the soft effect of the prebiotics are often used for the treatment of constipation the elderly whose organism badly perceives powerful drugs.
4. Bulk laxatives (methylcellulose, seeds fleawort) are synthetic substances with high sarbinowski properties. Absorbing the moisture, they expand the bowel wall, there is a reflex reaction of reduction, and the stool come out. Categorically contraindicated for people with chronic diseases and inflammation of the intestine.
5. Detergents (liquid paraffin, paraffin oil) have a lubricating effect, softening the stool and providing them slide through the intestines. Operate at the level of the colon, so the result occurs within 4-5 hours after ingestion.
Before taking laxatives from constipatio carefully study the user manual and pay attention to contraindications. If there is doubt about a particular drug, it is better to refrain from its use and contact a doctor for advice.
To cure chronic or acute illness one laxative impossible. Pharmacy drugs that stimulate bowel movements, eliminate the symptoms but not the root cause. People who are not seeking to treat constipation and limit themselves to the constant consumption of laxatives, risking your health: regular consumption of such products leads to a number of diseases of the intestine, and then the treatment will be more protracted and costly than it would have cost if constipatio. To treat the underlying causes of constipation need to consult a specialist, who will prescribe further treatment depending on the main source of the disease.
Therapy constipation unconventional means
“Grandma’s recipes” is good because it often happens that the treatment of them does not have the contraindications, which are available from pharmaceutical drugs, so they can be used and pregnant women, and the elderly. They not only help to get rid of constipation at home, but in General have a positive effect on the body, strengthen the immune system, normalize metabolism.
1. As constipation associated with lack of fluid in the body, one of the most effective remedies is tea of herbal ingredients. It could be a special herbal teas, which are sold in pharmacies, and tinctures made from the seeds of flax or fennel. By the way, fennel tea and gripe water is very useful for pregnant and lactating women – dill contributes to the development of a child, stimulates milk production and has a positive effect on duration of lactation.
2. About the beneficial properties of honey is known since ancient times. Med effective and constipation. And it can be eaten (in the form of blends or flavors), and do an enema with honey solution.
3. Effective stimulation of defecation is massage. It can be done at home by yourself – from the right iliac side through right and left hypochondrium to left iliac side. To begin massage follows with stroking, then proceed to circular friction and intermittent pressure, and in the end to go back to the stroking. Important point – self-massage needs to be done in a fully relaxed state, and before a session it is desirable to make an enema.
4. Treatment of constipatio enema is probably the most effective tool that you can use at home. This procedure not only corrects the problem, but also help to cleanse the bowel.
Prevention of constipation
As mentioned above, treatment of constipatio is not so much in removing the symptoms and stimulate bowel movements, how to eliminate the root causes. What exactly was the cause of the disease – can only say specialist. Therefore, in the case of persistent problems with bowel movement do not postpone visit to the doctor frequent constipation is a sign of serious diseases of the stomach or intestines. If the case of malnutrition, the gastroenterologist will prescribe an appropriate diet and, most likely, will recommend physical activity.
Like any other diseases, constipation is much easier to prevent than to cure. The best prevention is a balanced diet, which includes vegetables, fruit, buckwheat or oatmeal, dairy products, plenty of fluids. You should also not forget about a stable routine, physical exercise (at least 20 minutes a day for fresh air – already in use) and, of course, the elementary rules of hygiene, such as washing hands before eating and vegetables – before eating.