Today, the topic of gauze diapers is interesting to those parents who can not pick up diapers for the baby due to allergies. And also to those who want to accustom the newborn to the potty as soon as possible.
The idea of using a diaper to absorb the secretions of a newborn baby is not new. Our grandmothers used home-made gauze pads from diapers. They were folded in the form of a rectangle, scarves and laid down between the legs of the baby. This helped to limit the spread of urine throughout the crib. The kid wrote in a cloth that absorbed most of the moisture. And although such a tool has a number of significant drawbacks, generations of our ancestors used diapers and gauze.
Useful: gauze diapers do not require disposal (unlike diapers, which practically do not rot and do not burn after use).
How to make gauze diapers for newborns
It is necessary to take a piece of gauze – square or rectangular in shape with side sizes from 80 to 100 cm. Instead of gauze, you can take an old sheet that has been washed many times, has become thin, glowing, soft. You can buy fabric Madapolam (thin white chintz) and expose it to several washings and digestions.
The cut is folded into a narrow rectangle (20×60 cm) or a triangular scarf (with a side of about 80 cm). There is another way to fold the gauze (it is called Hungarian) – as a result of folding, they get a triangular lining with a seal in the middle. Below are diagrams of various folding fabrics. Dimensions are approximate.
This is a diaper scarf:
These are home-grown diapers from diapers:
And this is a way of folding gauze “in Hungarian”:
After folding, the diaper is laid out on a changing table. The baby is placed on top (if the baby is pooping, then they wash it first, and only after that put on a new diaper). A gauze scarf is wrapped around the butt and put on sliders (or swaddle).
If the diaper has the form of a rectangular lining with dimensions of 20×60 cm, then it is folded from one edge. This results in a thickening, which is placed in front (when swaddling boys) or back (when swaddling girls). From above the diaper is tied up with a rope.
Gauze or fabric does not have reliable fixatives. Therefore, it is suitable only for sleeping a baby. During wakefulness, such a diaper quickly slides from its intended place or unwinds.
In order for the fabric to hold better on the baby’s ass, it is not just folded, but sewn. How to sew gauze diapers for newborns?
How to sew diapers with your own hands
Sewing a diaper is easy. To do this, take gauze, an old sheet or chintz soft tissue and measure the squares (side from 80 to 100 cm). If you use gauze, you need to take it in 5-6 layers.
To sew diapers from gauze for newborns, they do not bend the edge of the fabric, but just wrap it around. A newborn baby is very sensitive to any stitches and hem . Therefore, the vests are worn with seams outward and do not hem the edges of the fabric linings.
Further actions are reduced to the fact that the diaper is folded into a scarf or scarf and sewed on a sewing machine. For convenient fixation, diapers are sewn with ropes or special Velcro.
The benefits of sewing diapers – they are easier to use (the fabric lining does not need to be re-folded each time). Disadvantages – longer drying of folded and in several layers of fabric.
How to sew diapers for newborns with our own hands – we disassembled, and now let’s talk about how many such items need to be sewn?
But this figure is greatly underestimated. The number of pads for a newborn baby should be at least 40 or 50. And if the newborn urinates every 20 minutes, then 3 diapers per hour or 75 diapers per day are needed.
In addition, it is necessary to allocate 1 hour daily for washing them (laying in a washing machine and further hanging to dry). Agree – for a nursing mother – this is a significant waste of time. And I really want to save it and use it for sleep and relaxation. Therefore, if you do not have a special allergic indication, your own laundry room or staff of assistants, refer to the common methods – absorbent diapers.
Gauze diapers help save money in exchange for time. And also make impossible long walks and sleep on the street in the cold season .
Pampers diapers: a new word in newborn care
Pampers are the first diapers that appeared on our market. Therefore, their name has become a household name. Now the word Pampers means any type of absorbent disposable linings for babies. In addition to the famous Pampers, in the course of modern mothers Haggis, Libera, Meriesa, Muni, Huns, Blyuber, Siler.
The market for children’s goods is saturated with piers from various manufacturers: Europe, China, Taiwan and Japan. What diapers are best for newborns?
Best diapers for newborns
In order for your choice to be complete, we give a small description of the features of various absorbent diapers.
The rating of diapers for newborns begins with Pampers:
- Pampers or Pampers – several types are available, for different age of the child and the level of his physical activity. The New Baby line is developed for newborns, there are also special models for premature babies. Traditional breathable structure, reusable fasteners (also an invaluable advantage), reinforced double cuffs at the edges for reliable protection against leaks.
- Huggies (Huggies) – this trademark was the first to invent diapers-panties and reusable Velcro. Soft, comfortable, absorbent and more affordable.
- Japanese diapers for newborns Muni (Moony) – differ in the best quality and high price. Delicate material called “air silk”, soft cotton fabric inside, a new air exchange system, super adsorbents inside. Additionally (in comparison with other types of diapers) – lateral folds that absorb any loose stools (relevant for newborns, they can poop 6-7 times a day). Cotton mesh on the back to prevent sweating during sleep. Diapers with a belly button neckline for newborns are special models for babies in their first week of life. In front, they have the shape of a semicircle (so as not to rub the healing navel). And there is also an indicator of filling and silent clips (you can quietly change the diaper during sleep).
- In addition to Mooney, Japanese diapers for newborns represent another manufacturer – Meries (Merries) . They also have indicators of filling, bacterial extract, elastic fixation, convenient for the baby. Pampers for girls and boys are distinguished by the location of the reinforced part (for boys – in the front, for girls – in the back).
- Hun Japanese diapers (GooN) are natural materials and absorbent gel. Convenient distribution layer (so that the inner tissue does not wrinkle and does not crumple). Moisture and vapor removal (enhanced porosity). Vitamin E supplements in the inner layer (to prevent skin problems).
- Pampers-Libers (Libero) – produce models of various prices. More expensive – from natural materials (on the packaging – a feather). Cheaper – with inclusions of polyethylene (without feather).
What diaper consists of
Pampers are designed to absorb baby’s fluid secretions. Traditional diapers consist of three layers (inner, outer and middle), each of which performs its own function.
- The inner layer is in contact with the skin of the baby, which means it must be made of natural fabric. However, there are models in which the inner layer is made of soft synthetics. They are cheaper and suitable for kids with no signs of allergies. In addition, the inner layer should freely pass urine to the middle layer of the diaper. That is, it must have a porous structure.
- The middle layer – absorbs what has fallen on the inner surface (urine and liquid stool). To do this, various substances are placed inside the diaper that absorb liquid and turn into gel. In this case, the diaper is filled and becomes heavy. Therefore, the time of use of the same disposable diaper should not exceed 4 hours.
- The outer layer – prevents contact of the wet gel with clothes, diapers, bedding. In the first diapers, the outer non-leaking material was similar to polyethylene, and therefore often caused diaper rash and rash. Modern technologies make it possible to make the outer surface of the diaper breathable while maintaining its water-repellent functions.
In addition, the diaper has devices for easy donning – Velcro. They can be fastened and unfastened several times. How to wear a diaper for a newborn?
How to use a diaper type diaper
Using diapers is easy. They are easy to put on the baby and remove after filling.
How to wear diapers on the baby
We take out a clean new diaper from the package and open it with the inner layer up. We put the baby on the changing table and raise his legs up. We put the opened diaper under the ass.
At the same time, part of the diaper is under the baby, and part is visible between the legs. We carry it between the legs and apply it to the stomach, fix both parts with sticky fasteners. Fixing a diaper should not be too tight or too loose. In the first case, the baby will be uncomfortable, and in the second – leakage is possible.
How often do you need to change the diaper for a newborn
Generally accepted medical recommendations indicate that the frequency of diaper replacement should not exceed 4 hours. However, if necessary, the diaper should be changed more often. For example, the baby was pooping, and the diaper was still almost dry. It is necessary to change it so as not to cause irritation from the contact of the stool with the skin.
Another example: sometimes during sleep for 2-3 hours, the diaper is kept dry. It will be too early to change it after 4 hours. It will be poorly filled with absorbent gel. In this case, you can change the diaper later (after 5 hours).
Often the diaper has to be changed if the baby has dysbiosis. He poops as many times as he eats breast milk. Each feeding is followed by a subsequent liquid bowel movement. In newborns with impaired intestinal microflora – the highest frequency of diaper replacement.
How often to change a diaper to a newborn depends on the condition of the child, the bacterial flora of his intestines.
Pampers for baby girls and boys
In a girl, the filling of the diaper occurs in the lower part of the diaper and in the back. In boys, front and back. In general, the diaper is thoroughly saturated with swollen gel. In special models for girls and boys, that part of the diaper is reinforced, which absorbs more stool.
How much time to spend in diapers
The main need for an absorbent diaper arises during sleep and walking on the street. Especially if it is walking in the cold season. Therefore, during sleep and street wakefulness, diapers must be used constantly. When can you do without it?
If you “walk” at home and in the room you are warm – you can let the baby lie down naked. Such air baths stimulate the activity of the baby, strengthen its muscles, accelerate physical development.
Also, do not wear diapers at home while feeding.
Important: diapers have to be abandoned during high temperatures. The diaper covers 30% of the baby’s skin and helps to raise the temperature by several divisions of the thermometer.
How many diapers does a newborn need per day
The number of diapers directly depends on how often diapers have to be changed. With frequent replacement per day, up to 10 pieces are consumed. With a rare change – you can do with 3 diapers.
The question is how many diapers per day for a newborn go into economic calculations, how much does it cost to buy diapers for a baby for the first month. But the determining criterion in choosing the number of diapers should not be their cost, but the health of the baby.
Best diapers for newborns: selection criteria
You can choose the best diapers for your baby only from your own experience. Versatile reviews on the forums contain both laudatory and household words about the quality of the same diapers. How to choose the best, most suitable for your baby?
Use the following quality assessment criteria:
- Pampers should reliably protect the baby’s skin from leaking (there are no wet places on the diapers and clothes, the skin is dry).
- On the skin of the baby should not be scuffs or traces of gum.
- The baby should not have a rash and diaper rash.
The choice of diaper takes into account the weight of the baby. If the packaging indicates the weight limits of 3-6 kg, then for a 6-kilogram baby, these diapers will be small. Use them up to a maximum of 5.5 kg.
Each mother will confirm that diapers for newborns are the greatest invention of mankind. But even if not the very first in importance for the whole planet, but it is very important, which has turned the whole idea of infancy and motherhood