Stomatitis – inflammation of oral mucosa. According to statistics, faced with about 20% of the population of our planet. In adults and children, it may take the form of an independent disease or can be a symptom of the pathology of the body. In both cases, treatment of diseases is carried out comprehensively and under the supervision of a physician.
Looks like a disease?
To recognize stomatitis easy. The initial stage of the disease characterized by the appearance of mild swelling of the mucosa of the mouth. It becomes more red, dry and shiny. On its surface may receive a coating, and in place of the future defeats the patient feels unpleasant itching or burning sensation.
With the development of the disease, the mucous membrane appear small ulcers and sores – painful lesions of oval or round shape. The place of their localization may be the inner side of the lips, cheeks, region of the sky, the tonsils or the mucous membrane under the tongue.
Causes of stomatitis
The mechanism of occurrence of stomatitis is not completely understood. But scientists are inclined to believe that the root cause of its development is the reaction of the human immune system to different stimuli. At some point the immune system ceases to recognize the potential threat of internal and external factors cause an atypical reaction, due to which there is “aggressive behavior” of lymphocytes. Attack of lymphocytes against the molecules of stimuli and leads to lesions of the oral mucosa.
To provoke atypical reaction of the immune system by a variety of factors.
The most likely of them are the following stimuli:
- Pathogens that live in the mouth.
- Wrong oral hygiene.
- Various mucosal injury, e.g., burns while taking too hot food, or mechanical trauma from seeds, nuts, crackers and other hard foods.
- Total dehydration due to high temperatures, blood loss, vomiting, diarrhea, or thirst.
- Poor quality treatment of the teeth and gums.
- Allergic reaction to dental structures in the mouth braces, implants, crowns, bridges, and so on.
- Long-term use of medicines.
- The diet is depleted in vitamins and elements.
- Malignant tumors of the oral cavity, respiratory system or the passage of chemotherapy.
- Hormonal disruptions in the body, for example in pregnant women or in children under the age of puberty.
- The presence of chronic diseases or allergies.
- A lot of stress.
It is interesting to know! Frequent thrush in adults can be due to the use of tooth paste containing sodium lauryl sulfate – a substance added to care for the oral cavity for the formation of thick foam. According to recent studies, it dehydrates the mucous membranes of the mouth and makes it vulnerable to various kinds of stimuli. Observations of patients confirm the fact that the rejection of the use of toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfate to reduce the risk of the development of stomatitis in adults is 81%.
Stomatitis can occur at any age. In the early stages it is accompanied by swelling, redness and dryness of the mouth.
The main symptom of the disease – the presence of a single or multiple sores and their appearance.
- Oval or round form ulcers.
- Small size.
- Smooth edges.
- The presence of thin grayish or white plenochki in the Central part of the ulcer.
- Ulcer surrounded by a slightly reddish halo.
- Mucosal tissues around the lesions have a normal, healthy appearance.
Tingling or burning sensation that the patient experienced at the beginning of the disease, replaced by pain. Ulcers hurt during eating, talking and smile. Any touch to them hurts, which complicates the implementation of the hygienic measures and leads to an unpleasant mouth odor.
On average the disease lasts from 4 to 14 days. The clinical picture depends on the individual characteristics of the organism, shape and form of stomatitis.
During this period, in addition to the core symptoms of disease may be other symptoms of illness.
- The temperature increase during the first days, until the appearance of typical ulcers (in severe disease fever persists throughout the illness).
- General malaise and fatigue.
- Lack of appetite (especially in children).
- Swollen lymph nodes (in rare cases).
It is important to remember! Severe inflammation, tooth pain or a high temperature for a long time indicate a severe form of stomatitis or development of its complications. In this case, need immediate medical assistance, and if necessary hospitalization of the patient.
Can the stomatitis to pass?
Usually mild forms of the disease caused by the injured mucosa, poor oral hygiene or an allergic reaction, can take place independently. Severe stomatitis caused by infection, it requires qualified treatment. And in that and in other case it is better not to wait and not to self-medicate. Because the disease does not only bring pain and discomfort, but also can lead to generalization of infection and serious complications.
The consequences and complications of the disease
Possible complications occur when a patient ignores the treatment of stomatitis. As a result, light and heavy forms of the disease become chronic. Running process goes in ulcerous-necrotic, then gangrenous form of the disease, which damaged not only the mucosa but also the soft tissues of the mouth, and the jaw bone.
Among other serious consequences of untreated disease are the following complications.
- Bleeding gums.
- Scarring of the oral mucosa, a violation of its elasticity and mobility.
- The accession of secondary infection.
- The loss of teeth.
- Voice changes – hoarseness, scratchiness, hoarseness.
It is important to remember! A small ulcer in the oral mucosa is a potential threat to the entire body. Infection it can spread to other organs and systems, which will disrupt the function of the heart, liver, kidneys, gastrointestinal tract and respiratory system.
How to treat thrush at home?
Effective treatment of stomatitis involves complex activities aimed at achieving five objectives:
- mild inflammation;
- elimination of the pain;
- maintaining hygiene of the oral cavity;
- speedy healing of the lesions;
- strengthening the immune system.
To do this, patient is prescribed anti-inflammatory, analgesic, disinfectant, antibacterial, antihistamines and other drugs. The choice of means depends on the shape and form of stomatitis.
Regardless of the kind of stomatitis, the treatment should begin with a rehabilitation of the oral cavity – the procedure is a thorough cleansing of the mucosa.
For this purpose you can use rinsing with the use of different solutions based on the following tools.
- Asepta rinse.
- Hydrogen peroxide.
Further, the choice of drugs and depends on the type of disease and its forms.
Treatment allergic stomatitis
For effective treatment of diseases of allergic nature are widely used antihistamines.
Useful technique immunostimulatory drugs.
Important! Before taking an antihistamine and immune-boosting means is necessary to consult the attending physician.
Herpes or herpes
In the treatment of herpetic stomatitis it is necessary to receive antiviral drugs. Usually this ointments that lubricate the affected portion of the mucosa or tablets for ingestion.
- Yellow ointment.
- Interferonov ointment.
- Oksolinova ointment.
- Tebrofenovaya ointment.
Important! Receiving antiviral drugs is carried out only on prescription.
Treatment of traumatic stomatitis involve administration of antibacterial agents. The patient may recommend the following medications.
- Metrogyl Denta.
- Sodium tetraborate.
For ease of use and achieving a speedy recovery, the specialist determines the appropriateness of the use of a particular form of the drug – gel, solution or tablets.
In the case of severe illness the patient may prescribe antibiotics.
- Flemoksin soljutab.
- The ekolink.
Important! Self-medication with antibiotics is strictly prohibited! Drugs in this group are accepted only on prescription!
Catarrhal and catarrhal-hemorrhagic
For the treatment of stomatitis using anti-inflammatory drugs and means of accelerating the healing of ulcers.
- Hexoral tabs.
- Vinilin (balm of shestakovskoe).
Important! Drugs to accelerate healing can be used for all types of stomatitis.
In the treatment of candidal stomatitis, special attention is paid to the choice of antifungal drugs.
- Nystatin (tablets) or nystatin ointment.
Also during treatment of the fungal disease it is advisable to use the following anti-inflammatory drugs.
- The resorption of the.
For timely removal of the formed RAID, you can use these tools.
- Boric acid.
- A solution of methylene blue.
Moistened with a cotton pad regularly and gently remove the accumulated plaque.
Treatment of ulcerative stomatitis
The treatment of ulcerative forms is complex and involves the following activities.
- The sanitation of the oral cavity.
- Antibiotics, antihistamines and painkillers.
- The use of funds for the speedy healing of ulcers.
In the case of temperature increase taking antipyretics.
For effective drying, the resulting aft you can use the following tools.
- Burnt alum.
- A solution of iodine.
- A solution of potassium permanganate.
After removing dry scabs and disinfecting of the oral cavity, it is possible to use drugs that speed up healing of ulcers.
When severe pain of the ulcers use painkillers. In order to ensure their uniform application on the mucosa, it is possible to choose the spray.
- Tantum Verde.
Not less effectively eliminate pain syndrome aerosols.
- The lidocaine.
You can lubricate the lesion of analgesic gels.
- Asepta gel.
Important! To get rid of sores by using anesthetics will not work. But they facilitate the ingestion and treatment.
Men, women, or child, suffering from a disease, you can use traditional medicines. Well established the following juices, herbal teas, oils and infusions.
- Aloe Vera juice – fresh juice is used to lubricate the lesions.
- Kalanchoe juice – fresh juice to lubricate the ulcers.
- The juice of garlic – for lubrication of affected areas of the mucous and lotions used grated garlic mixed with warm water in the ratio 1:1.
- Solution of calendula alcohol solution is diluted with water for regular mouthwash or lotions.
- Soda solution for rinsing. To prepare the solution use 1 teaspoon of soda in 200 g of warm water.
- A weak saline solution – to rinse 1 teaspoon of salt dissolved in 200 g of warm water.
- A decoction of oak bark for gargles.
- A decoction of onion peel is to rinse or lotions.
- A chamomile rinse is for rinsing.
- Broth of seeds of flax for rinsing.
- Tea tree oil – to prepare the solution for rinsing 5 – 7 drops for 200 g of water. For lubrication and lotions can be used in pure form.
- Black cumin oil – for preparation of solution for rinsing, lubrication and lotions. 7 – 10 drops in 200 g of water or in pure form.
- Rosehip oil – to prepare the solution for rinsing, lubrication and lotions. 10 – 15 drops to 200 g of water or in pure form.
- Sea – buckthorn oil to prepare a solution for rinsing, lubrication and lotions. 15 – 20 drops in 200 g of water or in pure form.
- The honey solution – to rinse or wash 1 tbsp. of honey diluted in 200 g of warm water.
- Fresh carrot juice to prepare a solution for rinsing fresh juice diluted with water in 1:1 ratio.
- Propolis is prepared the alcoholic solution is diluted with water in ratio of 1:1 and used for rinsing.
- Raw egg white – for applications or for the preparation of the solution for rinsing. To do this, whisk 1 protein in 100 g of pure water at room temperature.
- Silver water for regular rinsing of the oral cavity.
- Infusion of Kombucha for rinsing.
- Lotion made from grated potatoes – fresh tubers rubbed to obtain the juice, which is used for lotions.
Juices and oils you can gently lubricate the affected areas of the mucosa. Solutions and decoctions of herbs used for regular rinsing of the oral cavity.
Important! Before using traditional medicine, consult your doctor. Only a specialist can determine the feasibility of their application without injury. The use of folk remedies does not negate the substantive therapy, but only complements it effect.
Treatment of stomatitis with laser
Treatment with laser is recommended in case of severe or chronic disease. Directional effects of the laser can quickly and painlessly eliminate one or more sores and to shorten the recovery period. If laser treatment the risk of relapse is minimized.
How many days does it take to treat?
Correct, competent treatment of stomatitis speeds up the healing process. Depending on the type of disease it lasts for 3 to 7 days. If after 1 week of treatment the symptoms disappeared or is deteriorating, then most likely the patient had a complication.
The possible reasons for its development may include the following factors.
- The patient was self-medicating or did not comply with the prescription.
- Decrease in immunity.
- The presence of chronic diseases of the body.
- Regular physical injury or infection of the oral mucosa.
- Revealed no allergies.
- The presence of harmful habits – Smoking, razreshenie etc.
- Depression or frequent stress.
- Wrong oral hygiene.
- Uncontrolled intake of medicines.
- The use of means of hygiene for the oral cavity with the content of sodium lauryl sulfate.
Returning to the question whether the stomatitis to pass – it should be noted that seemingly harmless disease can result in serious problems for the patient. Therefore, you should remember the three “not” stomatitis – not to self-medicate, not to postpone the visit to the specialist and not ignore the recommendations of the attending physician.
How to understand what thrush is gone?
Very simple! A complete cure indicates the absence of lesions of the oral mucosa. On the cheek, in the sky, on the lip, on the tongue and in the tonsils there are no small ulcers, sores and plaque. The mucous membrane looks healthy, well-moisturized skin does not cause pain or create discomfort while eating, talking, smiles and hygienic procedures.
Types of stomatitis in adults
The clinical picture of the disease indicates that stomatitis can take place in mild or severe, can have acute or chronic. To facilitate diagnosis and treatment process, our specialists have developed the following classification of the disease.
- Allergic stomatitis is usually chronic disease that occurs due to allergic reaction of an organism to a stimulus. In addition to the specific ulcers may be accompanied by the appearance of the mucous membrane white spots, bubbles, and small hemorrhages.
- Herpes or herpes is a disease caused by ingestion of human pathogen herpes virus. Thrush this species is characterized by acute course. On the mucosal surface appear vesicles which are opened with the formation of erosions and crusts.
- Traumatic (bacterial) – a consequence of mechanical trauma of the oral mucosa and infection in the wound. Usually the disease is mild, with typical disease symptoms.
- Catarrhal and catarrhal-hemorrhagic – a mild form of thrush, the causes of which is poor oral hygiene, the development of candidiasis, decrease in immunity or disease of the gastrointestinal tract. The disease is accompanied by typical clinical picture of stomatitis.
- Candidal (fungal) stomatitis – acute form of the disease called thrush, is caused by bacteria of the genus Candida. Most common in young children, the elderly and patients who abuse antibiotics. Accompanied by the appearance of a white plaque on the mucosa, burning sensation and unpleasant taste in my mouth.
- Ulcerative stomatitis – a severe form of the disease, occurring alone or due to complications of the flow of catarrhal stomatitis. Occurs acutely, with fever and enlarged lymph nodes. The resulting ulcers are very painful, can unite and form extensive mucosal lesions.
- Aphthous stomatitis – a severe form of the disease occurring in acute or chronic form. Accompanied by the appearance of single or multiple ulceration gray-white color. Ulcer surrounded by a red halo and is very painful.
It is important to know! Analyzing the state of the oral mucosa, the nature of ulcers and patient complaints, experts accurately determine the type of disease and put an accurate diagnosis. Due to this, the treatment is quick and without complications.
Contagious stomatitis and how is it transmitted?
Thrush isn’t contagious. The exception is a disease caused by the herpes virus. It can be transmitted through kissing, through blood, through airborne droplets or by direct contact with a sick patient.
To what doctor to address with stomatitis?
When it detects the first signs of stomatitis should immediately contact the dentist. After differential diagnosis and accurate diagnosis, possible follow-up by the therapist or other relevant specialist, e.g. an allergist.
How to distinguish herpes from other diseases?
The main symptom of thrush is the presence of characteristic ulcers, the tissue around which look healthy. The disease is rarely accompanied by systemic symptoms and, as a rule, repeated from time to time. For a competent specialist is not difficult to distinguish a canker sore from other illnesses.
From a sore throat
Angina always raises the body temperature. Thus suffer not their ulcers, and the throat area. By visual inspection the tonsils look swollen, inflamed and red.
The problem is that hermeticly stomatitis is one of the manifestations of herpes. Viral disease accompanied by the formation of characteristic vesicles, which burst and dry up. In the presence of other kinds of stomatitis, the character of the ulcers is quite different.
Ulcers in cancer of the oral mucosa are not alone and after treatment. Over time they increase in size, can bleed and hurt.
Oral thrush is a yeast infection caused by bacteria of the genus Candida. In all other cases, the nature of the disease is different and easy to distinguish from thrush by the presence of characteristic ulcers.
When infected with syphilis on the surface of the mucosa appears red spot. It gradually condenses, and takes the form of a dense nodule, ulcerate – formed typical chancre, which is quite similar to ulcers in stomatitis.
Recommendations during treatment
The treatment of stomatitis should be carried out comprehensively – local therapy, intake of drugs that meet the disease and strengthening the immune system. During the period of treatment must adhere to the following recommendations.
- Diet – to exclude from the diet of spicy, salty, sour, too sweet, smoked, hot, cold and any traumatic mucosa meals.
- Compliance with the oral hygiene. To maintain it you need to use antiseptic, which regularly caress the mouth.
- Vitamin-mineral complexesto strengthen protective functions of an organism.
If the doctor diagnosed the presence of thrush, it is impossible to drink milk and consume dairy products that activates the vital functions of pathogenic fungi.
Any medication should be used only on prescription. Especially antibiotics.
It is important to know! It is not recommended to cauterize the ulcer appeared clean alcohol solutions. The only thing that is allowed is the treatment of lesions with a weak solution of iodine or potassium permanganate.
To avoid this disease and its recurrence, you should follow the following recommendations.
- To comply with a hyena mouth.
- To renounce the use of funds with the content of sodium lauryl sulfate.
- To protect mucous membranes of the mouth from injury.
- For the treatment of teeth and gums to contact an experienced qualified professionals.
- To balance your diet in favor of healthy food.
- To strengthen the immune system.
- Pay attention to their physical health and emotional condition – if necessary, ask for help to specialized professionals.
And don’t forget about what is herpes stomatitis can be transmitted from person to person – follow the rules of hygiene.