Do not want to hurt ever, but in the summer holiday period particularly. If you have to travel on the sea, lake, mountains – it is important to have assembled a first aid kit for the road. If she remains unclaimed, than on hand at the right moment will not be a suitable means. For all foreign travel provides the insurance that guarantees medical care, but the experience of travellers, something is definitely applied. Especially if you plan a wild vacation in places where doctors will not be able to get there fast.
What to put in your traveler’s first aid kit
If there is a need for continuous medication for chronic diseases, their take in the first place, along with a prescription from a doctor.
For first aid it is necessary to put the following tools:
- packing gauze napkins;
- cotton wool and sterile bandage;
- bactericidal plaster;
- soothing (motherwort);
- disinfecting product: Miramistin, Chlorhexidine, Dioxidine, alcoholic solution of iodine or brilliant green (Zelenka), tablets Furatsilina.
Potassium permanganate and hydrogen peroxide are best left at home – can be a problem when boarding the plane.
- cream with a maximum degree of protection from the sun and burn tools: Fenistil gel, Bepanten, D-panthenol, etc.;
- antispasmodic (no-Spa);
- nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: Nimesil, Paracetamol, Aspirin, etc.;
- vasoconstrictor nose drops nasal: ksimelin, Nazivin, Naphazoline, Galazolin, etc.;
- ointment from bruises and sprains, elastic bandage for fixation, the Pain;
- powder with antibacterial action (Streptocid, Baneuoqin);
- eye drops (Sulfacetamide);
- drugs against motion sickness (Dramina);
- the broad-spectrum antibiotic (Amoxiclav);
- pastilles, lozenges or tablets for sore throat: Strepsils, Faringosept, Septolete, Geksoral Tubbs, Neo-Angin, Tersil, Tantum Verde, etc.;
- antihistamines: Claratin, claritin;
- enzymes: Festal, Enzistal, Pancreatin, etc.;
- drugs from diarrhoea and acute enteric infections: Enterofuril, Furazolidone, Chloramphenicol, Regidron etc.;
- laxative: Senada, Glaksena;
- adsorbents: POLYSORB, Smectite, Neosmectin,Polyphepan, Activated carbon;
- funds for the relief of traveler’s diarrhea (“bear’s disease”): Loperamide.
If you or family members is often a cold on the lip, grab the medicine against herpes: pills and ointment Acyclovir (Zovirax).
List of drugs looks impressive, but the first way does not occupy much space.
To avoid surprises in the form of side effects, try to choose drugs that you are already taking without any negative consequences.
Injuries on holiday
In all situations it is better not to self-medicate and to enlist the support of a doctor.
To prevent the spread of infection, any wound should be treated:
- the wound surface is rinsed with running water;
- wet antiseptic or to anoint with iodine/green paint;
- impose aseptic bandage or a sticking plaster on the basis of gauze.
From swimming in the sea/body of water with a significant damage within a few days it is better to abstain.
Before the trip, it is necessary to clarify, how long ago was carried out a tetanus shot. This can be done in the office of infectious diseases at the place of residence.
The danger lies in wait for travellers when bathing in the Red sea, where many aggressive exotic fish and corals. The bite or injury often the situation is complicated by an allergic reaction. Sea salt corrodes the damaged skin that leads to inflammation, swelling, redness and oozing.
- the standard treatment of the wound;
- take antihistamines (Claratin, claritin) for 3-5 days;
- lotions with dioxydine;
- powder Baneuoqin;
- daily bandage change.
Similar tactics and insect bites. To relieve itching, several times a day, cause Fenistil-gel.
Contusion and sprain
For injury and sprain may be hiding a more serious pathology, e.g. fracture, so in some cases without radiological diagnosis is dangerous to remain.
If the injury is minor, pain is moderate movement in the joint is retained in full, and tactics are the following:
- the cold on the injury;
- applying iodine mesh;
- the imposition of a fixed bandage;
- the rest (reducing the load) on the injured limb for several days.
You can use the ointment/gel on bruises and sprains on the basis of NPVS, it will help to reduce pain, swelling and prevent inflammation (Diclofenac, Ortofen, Indovazin, Diklak, Fastum-gel, Nurofen, Voltaren, etc.).
Badyaga promotes the resorption of hematoma, available in the form of powder and gel.
Sunburn is always easier to prevent than to treat. In case of significant skin damage of the vacation can be ruined.
For first aid kit traveler take the cream with maximum sun protection: SPF 30-50.
Remember that after bathing, the tool periodically need to re-apply.
In the sun it is not recommended to be between 10 to 15 hours, if the skin somehow possible to keep the sunstroke with nausea, vomiting and loss of consciousness to prevent more difficult. The risk group also includes young children, so the adult responsible both for themselves and the child.
What to do if still traumatic contact with the sun took place, the skin is red, itches and hurts at the same time, also more and shivery:
- leaving the beach;
- inside take pain medication on the basis of NPVS;
- apply a soothing and healing ointment (gel, spray) against burn: Bepanten, D-Panthenol, Fenistil-gel, Actovegin, etc.
- Self-piercing blisters on the background of burn can lead to secondary infections, seek help from a doctor.
- Cannot be applied to the skin vegetable oils, this disrupts the airflow and increases the pain.
- Spray when the sun burn is more convenient to use, helps, but is more expensive.
- Do not apply multiple means.
- Apply to the damaged areas soaked in cold water towel, it will ease the pain.
Acute intestinal infection
The holidays can dampen acute intestinal infection. The disease is transmitted oral-fecal, nutritional and airborne droplets. Often OKI spreads quickly, and if one was ill family member, others need to take preventive measures to avoid infection.
In case of intestinal flu, in addition to the above complaints might experience sore throat, runny nose, cough, watery eyes.
As a rule, such complaints have multiple house guests, especially in young children. Food poisoning temperature rises to high numbers, 39-40 characteristic of viral and bacterial infections.
What to do:
Call a doctor, as similar symptoms can accompany a number of pathologies: acute appendicitis, intestinal obstruction etc.
You can’t take antidiarrheal drugs that slow down peristalsis, it increases toxicity and can lead to death.
How to treat acute intestinal infection:
- adequate drinking regime: pure water, tea, unsweetened fruit drinks;
- Smectite (Polifepan, POLYSORB activated carbon) and Regidron (contraindication – diabetes and kidney failure) to restore electrolyte balance;
- Enterofuril (antimicrobial broad-spectrum drug) for 1 hour prior to the reception of enterosorbents or 2 hours after;
- hunger in the first day;
- sparing food after normalization of the status and enzyme preparations to improve digestion.
Dosage is calculated individually and depends on age and body weight. In severe cases, prescribe antibiotics, but the drug the doctor chooses. To identify the causative agent of biological material (feces, vomit) are planted on a nutrient medium.
Enterofuril suitable for patients of any age; the drug is not useful if the diarrhoea is caused by insufficient production of enzymes, viral infection or acute abdomen.
The medicine is available in capsules and suspension, and included in the Standards of specialized medical care for children when the OKA and food poisoning.
General rule: take antipyretics are required at temperatures above 38 C.
How to avoid intestinal infection on vacation
It is not always possible to protect yourself from intestinal infection, but the risk of infection can be minimized:
- Not try yourself and do not give to children unwashed fruits and vegetables, fast food.
- To wash hands thoroughly.
- For travelers to choose hotels with good reviews.
- Do not store food without a refrigerator.
- To abandon adding in drinks ice made from tap water.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Do not swallow water while swimming.
If the family someone got sick with acute intestinal infection, prevention can be taken Smectite.
If stools are loose on the background of nervous stress, change of climate zone will help the Loperamide.
Conjunctivitis on vacation
Banal situation: after bathing in the sea fester eyes appeared tearing, pain, redness and swelling. Inflammation contributes to the weakening of immunity due to acclimatization.
- bacterial /viral infection;
To consultations and doctor’s appointments you can get Sulfacetamide and take an antihistamine. The appearance of pus is more characteristic of a bacterial infection and intense itching for Allergy.
- for washing use pure water without chlorine (for the same reason, not to dive without goggles);
- do not RUB your eyes with your hands or a beach towel;
- avoid contact with allergens.
Medical examination in cases of suspected conjunctivitis is necessary, as the disease can accompany mumps, chickenpox, rubella, measles, etc.
Alcohol poisoning is common in the immoderate consumption of alcohol beverages.
Symptoms depend on the amount of alcohol consumed:
- slurred speech;
- beavertail sight;
- inhibition/ excitation;
- redness of the skin;
If the alcohol was too much, possible depression of consciousness, uneven breathing and the loss of control over the function of pelvic organs (incontinence of feces). This state is the reason for resuscitation.
If alcohol intoxication expressed moderately, will assist in the following:
- isolation of the victim from the feast;
- cold shower (if condition allows);
- gastric lavage;
- laxatives (Glaksena, Senado);
- the vitamin C and any enterosorbent (POLYSORB, Polifepan, Smectite, Enterosgel);
- drink plenty of liquids;
- gentle food for several days.
You must make sure that abused alcohol did not choke on the vomit.
Sore throat, otitis media, cough
On the background of hypothermia during prolonged bathing these symptoms are common, especially in children.
Plan of action:
- drink plenty of liquids;
- antipyretics (temperature above 38 C);
- pastilles, tablets, lozenges for sore throat;
- expectorants (Bronchicum, Ambroxol, Bromhexine) when coughing;
- rinsing with a solution of table salt with added iodine;
- antibiotic in agreement with the doctor;
- vasoconstrictor drops (Nazivin, Otrivin, Naphazoline, ksimelin) when cold;
- the strong pain – drug based on Paracetamol (Panadol);
- hot compress with a cold.
Swim after these symptoms, not during the week, even if they feel normal.
With self-administration of drugs is necessary to remember about possible side effects, indications and contraindications, therefore, self-treatment can be resorted to only in extreme cases when medical assistance is unavailable. In all other situations, seek the support of a specialist.
Successful trips and the holidays, without the “medical” adventure!