In colloquial terms, such a word as “implant” wanders. This is not a correct pronunciation, since the ending “-ant” is sometimes present in the names of a doctor’s specialty. Therefore, the implant can be called a worker in the medical field, who performs prosthetics. But it will be more correct – an implantologist. Such a word as “implant” in principle does not exist.
Both terms borrowed from foreign languages and refer to medicine, characterize a product that acts as a prosthesis that allows you to completely restore lost organs and parts of the body, as well as contributing to the rehabilitation of a person. The fact of restoration of the functioning of the body through artificial or natural replacement of the affected area during treatment is common.
Comparing these two terms, it can be noted that they have different origins and differing translations into Russian. Usually, the term “implant” means, in general, all the charms and assets of medical cybernetics, which allow a person to live without special restrictions in case of loss of vital organs. The implant is involved in the replacement of a vulnerable or already diseased part of the human body with a healthy, and most importantly, natural analogue.
Another, philological explanation that the use of this term is inappropriate under any circumstances, is all in the same origin. It is believed that the word “implant” is derived from the German “implantant”. It, in turn, consists of two parts. From the Latin “in” – in, and “plantare” – to plant. Therefore, the letter “n” at the end of the medical term simply does not exist, which means that the “implant” is a fictitious and incorrect form of the word.
Implants and implants are medical devices that are artificial substitutes for organs or parts of the body that a person has lost. But sometimes, even medical workers themselves do not know what each of these terms means, and indeed, whether there is a difference between them. And besides doctors, ordinary people of other specialties incorrectly use these words in their speech.
Its word goes back to the UK. From English “to implant” – to insert, implant. This is a prosthesis that replaces a person with an organ. More often in his implant is associated with dentistry. It is true, because artificial analogues of body parts are also used in this area. But this is only one of the directions. Modern medicine implants teeth, heart valves, the eye retina and paralyzed limbs. There is cochlear implantation, which allows you to fully or partially restore hearing loss.
However, this is not the only meaning of the word:
- Technical module implantable under the skin of a person or animal. This chip is quite in demand by veterinary clinics in the USA and Europe. People identify their pets in case they get lost, and in developed countries the process of chipping is a necessary procedure. So, using a phone or other gadget, you can track the movement and control your pet.
- A special capsule containing a drug. It is introduced into the body for a stable portioned intake of the drug. Often this type of implantation is used in the treatment of diabetes with the installation of an insulin pump. It provides a metered dose of insulin under the skin. Birth control chips are also popular.
- In the field of dentistry, an implant is a medical device that is used by doctors in the process of restoring a removed tooth. Only the root part of the tooth is prosthetized. An artificial substitute is made from metal alloys, most often from titanium, is embedded in the jawbone, but not completely. A small part of the prosthesis remains visible, a crown is put on it. Dental implants will restore not only a beautiful smile, but also chewing ability.
The implantation of a titanium tooth root is a good solution to the problem in the following cases:
- When there is a complete restoration of a tooth that has been removed for any reason.
- In the process of creating the supporting part of removable and non-removable dentures.
- If the patient wants to preserve the aesthetic and functional component of the teeth, which are located next to the problem area.
This is almost the same as an implant. This word originates in France and is most often used specifically in the dental field in relation to all types of artificial tooth substitutes, which is not correct. From French, “implant” is a transplant. Transplantation is the process of transplanting healthy human organics in order to restore affected areas. Therefore, an implant is a “natural prosthesis”. At the moment, transplantation of kidneys, skin, various valves, corneas of the eye is successfully practiced. In the latter case, the donor is an exclusively deceased person.
Implants have a classification that divides into several types:
- Autografts (When transplanting, the donor is your own body)
- Allografts (The donor is another person)
- Xenografts (Organs of a non-human donor. For example, human heart valves can be replaced with pork)