When carrying a child, you should carefully approach any drugs, including folk. In order not to harm the future baby, any drugs should be taken after consulting a doctor.
What can be done during the day
The quality of sleep is determined by the characteristics of the behavior and mode of the day.
To avoid problems, try to follow the recommendations:
- Avoid overwork and overvoltage.
- Avoid daytime sleep.
- During the day, try to make time for simple physical exercises, such as yoga for pregnant women, swimming or hiking.
- If at night you are tormented by bad dreams that you cannot forget, do not keep feelings in yourself, discuss them with a loved one. According to the psychologists, this is the best way to overcome the fear of them.
- Give up the habit of lying down during the day, for example, lying down to read. It is necessary to accustom the body to the fact that the posture is intended only for sleep.
- Get a remedy for stretch marks and treat their skin 2 times a day. This will not only relieve the unpleasant itching that interferes with sleep at night, but also keeps the skin in good condition.
What can be done in the evening
Particular attention in the daily routine should be paid to the evening. Do not plan this time of affairs requiring intellectual or physical effort. Try to devote the evening only to rest.
Do not eat too heavy a meal. Eat in the evening light and healthy foods that will not overload the stomach. Give up coffee and limit strong tea in the diet. Drink herbal teas with chamomile, lemon balm, mint or thyme. These plants have a slight sedative effect and are not contraindicated in pregnant women. In the evening, limit the use of fluid, it is allowed at night to rarely get up to the toilet. To improve the quality of sleep, you can drink a cup of milk with honey.
Evening walks will have a beneficial effect on the quality of sleep. A couple of hours before you go to bed, stop watching TV shows and movies that cause strong emotions. Do something calm or relaxing, like knitting or reading a book. Soothe and warm up on a warm bath with the addition of essential oils, such as lavender or rose.
Often, insomnia in pregnant women occurs due to staying at night in stuffy rooms. Try to sleep with an open fortochnik, if there is no such possibility, ventilate the room in the evening. To make your sleep comfortable, get a pillow for pregnant women, which is useful when feeding a child.
If you didn’t manage to fall asleep after an hour, get out of bed, go to another room and occupy yourself with something calm, for example, listen to melodious music or look through a magazine. As soon as you feel the approach of sleep – go to bed.
Causes of Insomnia in Pregnant Women
Sleep disorders in pregnant women are observed in the last stages, and more than 90% of women suffer from this phenomenon. It is believed that this way nature prepares the body for the birth of a child and the upcoming sleepless nights.
Most doctors hold a different point of view and believe that insomnia in late pregnancy is more likely to occur for the following reasons:
- The unrest associated with the upcoming childbirth. Many women, especially during their first pregnancy, are afraid of the unknown and worry about their future baby. Shortly before giving birth, pregnant women can be tormented by nightmares, panic attacks and anxiety. This causes nervous tension, irritability and fatigue, which do not contribute to sound sleep.
- Frequent urination. Some pregnant women can visit the toilet up to 5 times at night. This is due to the pressure of the uterus on the bladder, which can no longer contain a lot of urine.
- Leg cramps. In late periods in women at night cramps the muscles of the lower leg. The problem is caused by a shortage of magnesium, calcium and potassium.
- Stomach discomfort or heartburn. Every day the growing uterus takes up more and more space in the abdominal cavity, squeezing nearby organs, hence heartburn and heaviness in the stomach.
- Inconvenient posture. Big belly does not leave many options in the choice of posture for sleep. You can’t sleep on your back, and even more so on your stomach, and on the side it is not always convenient, so women have difficulty falling asleep, and for some, sleeping during pregnancy becomes a problem.
- Itchy skin. Increasing tummy leads to stretching of the skin. In places of skin tension, severe itching occurs.
- The movements of the child. In the daytime, the child may behave calmly and peacefully, but as soon as the mother is arranged in a comfortable bed, she will begin to remind herself of vigorous movement.
Insomnia in early pregnancy is not uncommon, although fewer women suffer from it. Sleep disorders in this period are due to hormonal changes and restructuring of the body. With the beginning of pregnancy increases the production of progesterone and other hormones.
Also, all the forces of the body are mobilized, preparing the body to bear the child, this leads to the fact that the woman cannot relax.