Abnormal development of cells in the spinal cord, or cancer of the spine can be primary and secondary. In most of the cases are malignant primary tumor.
Often cancer of the spine, progressing in the form of lymphoma that affects the nervous system.
The spread of disease is through the blood, or cerebrospinal fluid.
Modern physicians believe that the main reasons for the formation and development of secondary pathological education rooted in the metastasis of primary tumor “hiding” in other organs. Causes in the spine the 1st of the tumor, unfortunately, has not been studied thoroughly.
It is believed that key reasons lie in the genetic predisposition of the person to cancer.
In addition, the causes of disease often depend on the condition of the immune system.
The least likely causes of such terrible disease as cancer of the spine is the effect of radioactive radiation.
In the initial degree of pathology usually occurs almost imperceptibly. The first symptoms of cancer of the spine appear after the spread of the tumor. Often the disease progresses over several years.
Common signs of horrible diseases include:
- The difficulties encountered during the walk.
- General weakness.
- Spasms in the muscles.
- Acute pain syndrome (becomes even more pronounced when a person is in a horizontal position).
- Painful and cold legs.
- Sticky and cold skin.
- Fecal incontinence.
Symptoms of cancer cervical
Cancer symptoms of the spine become more pronounced depending on the location of the tumor. The higher it is, the wider becomes the area of neurological disorders.
Oncology cervical leaks are the hardest. In this case, the progression of neurological disorders in each of the plots below tumors of the cervical.
For the development of cervical cancer is characterized by such features as:
- paralysis of the thoracic intercostal muscles;
- the disturbance of liquor circulation.
In cancer of the cervical spine, due to the accumulation in the ventricles of the brain cerebrospinal fluid pressure rise occurs (intracranial).
He is accompanied by such features as:
- acute headache;
- difficulty swallowing;
- loss of consciousness;
Uncharacteristic symptom of a pathology of the outflow of CSF in Oncology cervical spine is the occurrence of pain in the tumor site.
When with the rapid progression of cancer of the cervical spine, the patient suffers from difficulty breathing, the doctor puts him on a ventilator (artificial lung ventilation).
Symptoms of cancer of the thoracic
With the progression of thoracic Oncology is the development of:
- respiratory pathologies;
- paretic (affected upper limb);
- pathology functioning of the organs of the chest.
Given the fact that in cancer of the thoracic spine is a violation of the innervation of the diaphragm, lungs and heart. This condition is accompanied by:
- shortness of breath;
- disruption of cardiac rhythm;
- pathology of the digestive tract.
When this division affects cancer of the spine, the symptoms often indicate that the patient also needs a ventilator.
The course of disease and complications
Cancer of the spine has 4 degrees of development.
- for the first degree is characterized by the formation of abnormal cells, and if treatment is timely, full recovery is possible in 95-100% of cases;
- at the second degree lightning fast multiplying cells form a tumor, and successful treatment is possible in 75% of cases;
- with the progression of the disease up to the third degree are growing metastases, and successful treatment is possible only in 30% of cases;
- for the fourth degree is characterized by the growth of the body metastasis, and successful treatment is impossible.
If malignancy is located at cervical area, there may be complications such as paralysis, impairment of brain function (brain) and shortness of breath.
A spinal tumor can only be diagnosed by an experienced physician. Put the preliminary diagnosis a doctor can, on the basis of survey data and examination of the patient.
To special methods of research are:
- X-rays in three projections (traditional).
- X-ray layer.
- Magnetic resonance (nuclear).
Once the diagnosis is confirmed, is assigned to the appropriate treatment. Prognosis can be favourable only in the event if medical intervention had been timely.
The treatment of such serious diseases as cancer of the spine takes place in stages. The most common methods of medical therapy include:
- radiation therapy (abnormal cells die under the influence of radiation and prognosis in this case, the most favorable);
- the reception of potent anticancer drugs (the formation of young blood vessels, “killing” the tumor);
- surgical treatment (assigned in the presence of compression of blood vessels and nerve endings).
A favorable prognosis depends on when the tumor was detected and assigned the correct treatment.
Unfortunately, cancer is very cunning, and development of abnormal cells in the body may be asymptomatic, and tests to be completely normal. Therefore, for medical assistance most people turn for 2-3 degrees of cancer.