Every year millions of people turn to doctors with complaints of pain in the lumbar region. In most cases, the cause of getting the degenerative disc disease of the lumbar spine. According to statistics, this disease takes second place after colds. The cause of the disease may become sedentary lifestyle, hormonal disturbances, congenital or acquired pathology of the spine and musculoskeletal system, great exercise. The most effective method in this case is the drug treatment of lumbar osteochondrosis.
Delayed appeal to the specialist can lead to serious consequences, up to the need for surgical intervention. Self-medication and uncontrolled medication threatening complications and recurrences. Examination at an early stage of the disease and timely treatment promotes rapid healing of the patient.
As a rule, osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine accompanied by pain and pathological processes occurring inside the body. Therefore, the treatment is not only pain, but also in addressing related variance.
Medical products administered for the treatment of lumbar degenerative disc disease, aimed at elimination of pain syndrome and elimination of the inflammatory process. This task is not easy, because the pain is neuro-radicular in nature and is transmitted in the muscles and surrounding the internal organs.
Modern drugs not only ease pain, but also have several other therapeutic actions, such as:
- the restoration of local blood circulation;
- improvement of motor function of the vertebrae;
- elimination of muscle spasms;
- the restoration of cartilage;
- the withdrawal depressive state.
Properly selected medicines in the shortest possible time facilitate the patient’s condition and suppress inflammation.
Depending on the health of the patient and the disease specialist decides where it will be therapy in a hospital or at home. In some cases, a speedy recovery, hospitalization is required.
The drugs with the disease
At the time of exacerbation the main task is the relief of pain and inflammation.
Direction and functionality of medications from lumbar degenerative disc disease is divided into categories:
- analgesics (pain relief);
- non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID);
- muscle relaxants;
- vitamin complexes.
An integrated approach to solving problems will provide a quick recovery and will restore the full functionality of the body. It is therefore recommended during therapy to taking a tonic, vitamins and minerals, immunomodulators. To assign a range of health care, only the attending physician, based on the individual characteristics of each patient.
For degenerative disc disease is characterized by overexertion of the muscle cover in the lumbar region. This is due to the displacement of the vertebrae and damaging the spinal discs. This dramatically increases muscle tone, the vertebrae are fixed, and included a protective reaction of the organism. The nerves in the brain to send signals of discomfort on a reflex level increases muscle tension in the location of the pain. As a result, in the lumbar region there is a feeling of stiffness, is the compression of blood vessels.
Spasms of skeletal muscles contribute to the formation of poor posture and cause discomfort. Therefore, when medical treatment of osteochondrosis of lumbar region using muscle relaxants.
They can be divided into two main types:
- antispasmodics – to reduce muscle spasm, result in the muscles to a normal state;
- neuromuscular blockers (NMB) – paralyze the muscles of the skeleton, reduce their tone from normal to zero.
Drugs intended to relieve muscle spasms, have a rapid and effective action, especially when introduced intramuscularly. The duration of therapy, form and dosage of the drug be prescribed only by a specialist. Because of the possibility of side effects self medication is strictly prohibited.
Muscle relaxants the most popular today are:
- Mydocalm. Well absorbed by patients, shows adequate therapeutic effect. Due to its acceptance there is a possibility of reducing the dosage of painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs. The active substance is tolperison. Has antispastic and adrenoblokiruyuschee effect. The content in the composition of lidocaine has antispasmodic effect.
- Sirdalud. Relieves muscle spasm, prescribed for acute and chronic forms of the disease. It is forbidden to take simultaneously with Ciprofloxacin and Fluvoxamine. The drug is prohibited to persons under 18 years of age and have liver disease, are allergic to the elements included in the product.
- Baclofen. Effective for constant lower back pain. In conjunction with other medication significantly reduces the duration of treatment. Well tolerated by patients. The dosage and duration of treatment prescribed by a doctor.
- Tizanidine. To reduce the resistance of muscles during movement, relieves pain and discomfort in the back. Increases the effectiveness of physiotherapeutic procedures.
Often patients are also prescribed a similar muscle relaxants: some cyclobenzaprine, Phenaglycodol, Flexin, Meprobamate, Penderel.
The main feature of this type is that they restore the porous fabric of the old cartilage. These drugs will produce the desired result when the disease was seen in the early stages. Chondroprotectors affect the damaged area of the spine, easing pain, relieving inflammation and promoting cartilage.
Components of the chondro acts of chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine. Auxiliary substances include antioxidants, vitamin and mineral supplements. The duration of therapy usually is for at least two months. Take them in tablets, solutions for injections and fluids, replacing the articulate content.
Chondroprotectors are classified according to the structure, generation and method of application.
Classification by generations:
- 1st generation – natural products containing plant extracts and extracts of cartilaginous tissues of animals. These include Artheparon, Alflutop, Mukaltin, Rumalon;
- 2 generation – contain hyaluronic acid, chondroitin sulfate, and glucosamine;
- 3 generation – mixed preparations containing chondroitin sulfate and hydrochloride.
Classification by composition:
- the active substance is chondroitin – hondrolon, Khondreks, Structum, Mucosal;
- contain the extract of cartilage of animals – Alflutop, Rumalon;
- contain glucosamine Dona, Artron Flex;
- drugs that have a complex action – a cheap, Artron complex, Formula-s;
- contain synovial joint fluid – Arteparon.
Classification by form:
- drugs for intramuscular injection – Albona, Aggelon;
- tablets and capsules – Artra, teraflex;
- fluid, replacing the articulate content – Synocrom, Ostenil, Synvisc.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
NSAIDs in the treatment of lumbar degenerative disc disease have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. They are prescribed during an exacerbation, in acute and chronic forms of the disease.
The basis of these medicines is:
Method of issuance of non-steroidal medications:
- ointments, creams and gels.
On the basis of Ibuprofen effective is ointment Nurofen. Voltaren ointment – based on diclofenac. Fastum gel – based Ketoprofen. In the form of tablets and injections assigned to Diclofenac and Ibuprofen. Preparations based on Nimesulide have a minimum of side reactions. These include Nise, Nimesil, NIMULID.
Drugs of this group are taken for a long period of time. Their action is limited to relief of pain. They do not have the same level of efficiency in the fight against degenerative disc disease of the lumbar as other drugs, such as NSAIDs. Remember that analgesics cause many side effects and have a wide range of contraindications.
This files most often for pain relief are assigned:
If to eliminate pain, relieve spasm and stiffness can not resort to more serious treatments. One of these is paravertebral block. The procedure involves a series of injections carried out along the spinal canal in the affected area. As a result of nerve roots coming from the spine, lose their sensitivity. The effect is achieved in 10-15 minutes after the procedure.
Sometimes to achieve a stronger and more rapid result paravertebral blockade combined with corticosteroids.
Another effective method is epidural blockade – injection on the basis of novocaine. Is inserted into the region of the sacrum, at a distance of 5 to 7 cm above the coccyx to the epidural space.
Vitamins and minerals
In the treatment of degenerative disc disease of the lumbar spine it is necessary to take minerals and vitamins. They promote healthy tissue regeneration and damaged. The constituent components saturate the ligaments, cartilage, bones and muscles healthy microelements.
When lumbar osteochondrosis recommended:
A positive impact on the course of the disease have b vitamins They contribute to the restoration of the nervous regulation and intervertebral tissues. Vitamins a and E have beneficial effects on blood vessels. Vitamin C has tonic properties, strengthens the immune system, reduces the risk of developing related diseases.
Complex medical treatment of degenerative disc disease of the lumbar allows you to get rid of the disease in the shortest possible time. Timely diagnosis and treatment will help prevent recurrences and serious complications which bring the patient to surgery. The efficiency of modern chondroprotectors, muscle relaxants and painkillers proven.
The use of vitamin complexes and minerals will strengthen the ligaments, muscles, bone and cartilage. In addition, they will support the immune system during therapy, give the body vitality. It is recommended to include in your diet foods that contain more useful minerals.
Often experts recommend the use of traditional medicines. The most appropriate methods should be agreed with your doctor.
An active and healthy lifestyle, fitness training and the correct mode of the day will reduce the risk of development of lumbar degenerative disc disease.