Headache is rarely considered a serious reason for seeking medical attention. But if the pain is accompanied by nausea, that is reason to be wary.
Severe headache and nausea can be signs of various diseases, some of them pose a serious danger to health.
As a rule, if a person has not observed any problems with the stomach or other digestive organs, it often happens that these two symptoms are provoked by the same cause.
What are the reasons?
In most cases, if you have a headache and nausea, all these symptoms are a manifestation of nervous system diseases. Sometimes the cause of such symptoms may be traumatic brain injury. For example, a concussion is usually manifested with pain, nausea, vomiting and General weakness. In addition, such symptoms can also occur in completely healthy people because of severe fatigue and stress.
Consider what diseases may be accompanied by such symptoms:
The most common reason for headache may be accompanied by nausea is a migraine. It occurs due to disorders in the nervous system.
The person in addition to the headache becomes sensitive to various stimuli, for example:
- light and sound,
- before the eyes appear flies,
- you may experience nausea and vomiting,
- also General weakness.
Pain can be of varying intensity last from a few hours to several days.
Another reason for regular headache and nausea can be a malignant tumor located in the brain.
The main difference of this disease from others is that the symptoms appear in the morning. If they are always there almost every day, it is a serious reason to consult a doctor and get tested.
When inflammation of the meninges appear pronounced symptoms, they may initially resemble the common cold, namely:
- the temperature rises,
- there is a fever,
- headache that increases with all movements,
- sore muscles.
If you do not take any measures, through the day the patient gets worse, brain tissue swelling, impaired blood flow, there confusion, nervous irritability and drowsiness.
If you do not treat this disease, the person may fall into a coma or even to die.
Symptoms are usually the following:
- General weakness,
- a headache and fever.
Usually the cause of poisoning are of poor quality or expired food products. When injected into the body of toxic substances the signs of poisoning occur very soon in about an hour after eating. Depending on the health of the sick, the treatment can be performed in the hospital and at home.
Most often the disease is asymptomatic, so it was called “the quiet killer”.
People can suffer from this disease, unaware of his presence, unless there is a hypertensive crisis, which manifests itself:
- rapid heart rate,
- pain in the chest,
- also nausea and vomiting.
In this disease, inflamed brain tissue, the patient requires urgent hospitalization.
The disease is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- nausea and vomiting,
- can also be seizures.
Increased intracranial pressure
It may be congenital or may result from injury, stroke or tumor. In the elderly, this pathology is often the cause of dementia.
The disease is accompanied by the following signs:
- nausea without vomiting,
- deterioration of vision,
- a decrease in concentration and mental activity.
From the foregoing it becomes clear that a headache accompanied by nausea may be caused by different diseases.
For accurate diagnosis you will need to be examined.
In addition, such signs can cause not only illness, but also pregnancy, as well as a hangover. They may also appear as side effects after taking various drugs.
How to treat?
Before to get rid of symptoms need to be examined to know the exact diagnosis.
Most likely you will need to do an MRI and pass the necessary tests. On the basis of the results obtained will understand the reasons for such symptoms.
If necessary, the doctor will prescribe treatment, it can be both surgical and medical. The first method of treatment is mainly sought in serious diseases, for example, a malignant or benign brain tumor. But most diseases are still treated with medical therapy.
To help the doctor make a correct diagnosis, you need to write down all the symptoms, remember how long they last and at what time occur.
This information will be useful to the attending physician. To listen to their feelings should at all stages of treatment. If the headache is so strong that no strength to endure, before visiting the doctor you can stop it with drugs such as “Nurofen”, “Analginum” “Tsitramon”, “Spazmalgon” or other tablets.
You also need to measure pressure, it is possible that the cause of pain is heightened or lowered blood pressure. In this case taking the drug, normalizing the pressure.
To cope with nausea, will help activated charcoal or some antiemetic. Usually if you have a headache and feel sick, a fever. In this case, the patient needs a warm blanket wrap.
If symptoms persist and the condition worsens, then you need to call an ambulance.
If such signs as headache and nausea, not triggered by any serious illness and stress or light poisoning, you can try to cope with the unpleasant symptoms alone using proven folk remedies:
- The decoction of Hypericum. This recipe will help to cope with nausea and pain in the head, and it’s a great way to get rid of stress. But, it is contraindicated to men, as this plant reduces the level of male hormones. To prepare the broth you will need two teaspoons of herb to boiling water. It needs to stand for 20 minutes and then need to drink before a meal a quarter Cup three times a day for three weeks.
- The mint tea. Rather, it has a sedative action and helps to fight nausea, but as a means of migraine are not very effective. But to improve efficiency you can add in peppermint tea Valerian root. For its preparation you need to take two tablespoons of mixture of herbs and brewed half a liter of boiling water. It can be drunk as a tea vprikusku with honey. To get involved in this means longer than a week is not recommended.
- Berries and blossoms of elder. If this plant is to prepare a decoction, it will help to cope with migraines and nausea. It is prepared thus: take the mixture for about 2 two tablespoons, brewed with boiling water and infuse for 20 minutes. It is recommended to take a quarter Cup three times a day before meals. Treatment should continue for at least two weeks.
- Decoction of oregano. This plant has long been used in the treatment of many diseases, including migraines. It is added to tea or prepare a decoction. You need to take a tablespoon of dry plants, pour a liter of boiling water, and then 10 minutes to put on a slow fire. Decoction is taken twice a day regardless of meals. The course of treatment is usually about three weeks.
Herbal medicine, of course, may help deal with certain diseases, but before you take this or that potion, you need to read the contraindications, and it is better to consult a doctor, otherwise you can hurt yourself.
For example, oregano can not be taken during pregnancy because it can cause abortion or to cause premature birth, and St. John’s wort is contraindicated in men because it can cause temporary potency.
In addition to the above-described treatment methods you can try to get rid of the unpleasant symptoms by using a cold compress, a relaxing massage and a good sleep.
If the person does not sick, and my headache and nausea – the result of overwork and nervous tension, you can prevent correct and balanced nutrition, active lifestyle and emotional stability.
When to call the doctor?
- If you have a headache, for example, more than a day, and with this pain syndrome accompanied by nausea, vomiting, chills and weakness, then you need to go to the hospital.
- But if nausea and vomiting continues for a long time, it is best to consult the doctor as soon as possible.
- If the above symptoms are accompanied by pressure jumps, before the arrival of doctors with hypertension need to take medication reducing blood pressure, and hypotension can you drink sweet strong tea.
It is important to remember that the headache that accompanies the nausea, can be caused by a serious disease. That is why if the symptoms are not dealt with by drugs and their intensity with every hour increase, then you cannot delay the visit to the doctor, the delay can cost human life. If You Have a sore right hemisphere of the head, this too can cause several reasons due to which you need to go to the doctor!