The largest nerve of all nerves in the human body is the sciatic. It begins in the lumbar-sacral region and through the entire lower limb.
Manifested a pinched sciatic nerve (sciatica) sciatica (severe pain) and temporary loss of working capacity (person loses the normal ability to do anything, walk, stand, sit, bend over).
This disease does not appear in itself, and testifies to the presence in the body other serious pathology. It is usually found at the age of 30-50 years.
The very first sign with the pinching pain is in the region of the lumbar. Afterwards the pain extends to the back surface of thigh, tibia and foot. This is a very strong and sharp pain, aggravated by movement and during physical activity, as well as during coughing, sneezing and even laughing. The pain gradually increases and can become intense at night, which the patient can Wake up. Sometimes pain can be so severe that the person is not able to move.
Other signs of inflammation:
- change of gait – when walking, a person tries to rely more on his good leg, therefore, is deflected in the direction which is the opposite patient extremities;
- change sensitivity on the other side, where there was a pinched sciatic nerve;
- the emergence of a sense of numbness or burning sensation in the affected limb;
- the weakening of the muscles of the affected limb.
Caused by this disease can be such reasons:
- osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine. It low back pain is the leading cause of ishialgii;
- a spinal disc herniation (nerve root can sasemas in the protrusion of the disk);
- tumor process;
- infectious processes (tuberculosis, syphilis, influenza, scarlet fever);
- hypothermia (which activates the infectious processes and provokes inflammatory reactions);
- radiculitis lumbosacral (radiculitis occurs in every third patient with sciatica);
- heavy physical exertion;
- intoxications (poisons, heavy metals, toxins, drugs, alcohol);
- violation of metabolism.
Often the inflammation is accompanied by decreased mobility in hip or knee joints, weakening of the neurological reflexes. To diagnose sciatica quite easily by inspection.
In order to determine the causes of sciatica, you may need the use of such methods of diagnostics:
- radioisotope scanning;
- General and biochemical blood tests;
- the General analysis of urine.
X-rays will help to identify or eliminate bone changes. CT or MRI will allow more detail to determine the cause of the pinching. Radioisotope scanning of the spine is indicated for suspicion of the presence of the tumor. The blood and urine tests will reveal the overall condition of the body.
If diagnosed inflammation of the sciatic nerve, to treat it should be by a neurologist.
In this disease are appointed:
- blockade of inflamed area;
- anti-inflammatory therapy;
- therapeutic exercises;
- the Spa treatment.
Blockade using local anesthetics is unable to remove the cause of the disease or influence the course of the disease, but blockade of the pain syndrome allows to expand the possibility of movement of the patient and to improve his emotional state.
Of drug used anti-inflammatory drugs, muscle relaxants, antispasmodics, vitamins. The physiotherapeutic methods of treatment of sciatica include diathermy, compresses and electrophoresis.
Massage for pinched nerve is already after subsiding of acute inflammatory process. The aim of massage is to strengthen the ligaments and warm up tense muscles. Massage for sciatica is done for half an hour a day. It can be segmental (stroking, kneading, rubbing) or acupressure (pressing on specific points on the body associated with certain organs).
The application of these methods of treatment allows to remove swelling and inflammation, improve blood circulation in the nerve and surrounding tissues. Further treatment of sciatica depends on the causes that caused it. Exercise program for physical therapy the patient is selected individually, depending on the cause of the inflammation.
During acute pain, the person should lie on the bed with a hard mattress. Until the inflammation subsides, physical activity should be restricted.
In this disease will be effective Spa treatment:
- radon baths;
- pearl baths;
- hydrogen sulfide baths;
- course underwater traction.
At home the person is diagnosed with sciatica, you may apply such methods of therapy (if no contraindications):
- massage with ointments;
- wax application;
- applicator Lyapko;
- applicator Kuznetsova;
- daily gymnastics.
Massage for sciatica at home may be performed using any anti-inflammatory or warming ointments. When conducting applications of hot wax, you need to lubricate the skin any fat, and the top cause warmed beeswax in thin layers. Then you need to bundle up with a blanket. Remove the wax once the inflamed area is warm.
Lyapko applicator and the applicator Kuznetsov is a very effective means to relieve pain in sciatica, because the impact on biologically active points. In this disease, it will be effective exercises such as walking on the buttocks, “Bicycle”, stretch marks. But to be done smoothly and slowly, and when any discomfort in the spine exercises should be discontinued.
Primarily sciatica has a negative impact on quality of life. In addition to progressive pain, may occur spontaneous bowel movement and urinary incontinence.
If not timely treatment of diseases that caused the development of sciatica and sciatica, can develop following effects:
- instability of the vertebrae of the spine;
- muscle weakness lower limb;
- atrophy of the pelvic organs;
- the death of nerve endings;
- paralysis of the lower limbs.
The consequence of neglecting the treatment of sciatica can become a disability.
To prevent pinching of the sciatic nerve, you need to:
- to monitor the correctness of his posture;
- sleep on a fairly hard bed;
- to avoid sitting on soft chairs for extended periods of time;
- do not carry too heavy loads, not overloading the spine;
- every day to strengthen the musculoskeletal system with the help of a gym;
- to monitor their weight (in the case of excess weight, it is necessary to normalize).
Very important in the prevention of this disease is to maintain the tone of muscles. It is not enough to charge and control your posture: sedentary work, it is often necessary to take breaks in which to take the time to warm-up. To prevent this disease is recommended:
- go swimming, walking or yoga (because moderate exercise will improve blood flow in nerve roots in the spine, normalize muscle tone);
- to buy an orthopedic mattress;
- while working at the computer to lean on the back of the chair (it is best to buy orthopedic seat);
- to wear orthopedic comfortable shoes (high heels it is best to opt out);
- when lifting weights first bend the knees, then raise the load, keeping the spine straight, due to the muscular strength of the feet and hands;
- to avoid hypothermia (dress for the weather).