The usual source of joy and hangovers during the holidays, alcohol, begins his destructive path in the body from the digestive system.
The strongest impact alcohol has on the stomach, stopping it for a few hours and causing various negative effects:
- 1. The increased acidity of gastric juice. Occurs even at low concentrations of alcohol, affects the mucosa on an empty stomach.
- 2. Cell death of the gastric epithelium. Itself is not dangerous, but strips 1-3 days the glandular layer of the stomach. When re-intoxication to a complete recovery of atrophy of the mucosa functions.
- 3. The destruction layer of mucus and inhibition of its updates. Occurs when high concentrations of alcohol, just as strong alcohol burn and a dry mouth. Combined with high acidity leads to chemical damage of the stomach wall.
- 4. Violation of the production of digestive enzymes. Results in a retention of absorbed food in the stomach, disorder of the bowel.
- 5. Increased pressure in small blood vessels of the mucous membrane that can lead to their damage. Occurs only at high concentrations of alcohol.
Many of the familiar reactions after taking large doses of alcohol – nausea, vomiting, headaches, sometimes even diarrhea. Such symptoms are included in the overall picture of a hangover and usually do not require medical intervention. You need to be wary if they are accompanied by pain in the stomach. Acute abdominal pain and vomiting blood on the background of alcoholic intoxication is a reason to urgently call an ambulance.
Why stomach pain after drinking alcohol?
Might grab another stack, and the usual slight burning sensation in the stomach may be replaced by a sharp pain, if the digestive system is already suffering from emerging diseases:
- 1. Cholecystitis and liver disease – are characterized by pain under the ribs on the right side, yellowing of the skin, nausea. Acute cases may require surgery.
- 2. Acute pancreatitis begins with encircling unbearable abdominal pain under the ribs, accompanied by constant vomiting, dehydration, flatulence. At the slightest suspicion, immediately call for medical help.
- 3. Gastric ulcer or duodenal ulcer – manifests itself by pain in the upper abdomen, nausea and bloody vomit. Requires immediate treatment to the doctor, with abundant discharge of blood or pallor of the skin, in an ambulance.
- 4. Different types of chronic gastritis – usually do not reveal themselves immediately after drinking, fully manifesting itself in the morning. Nausea, heartburn, diarrhea, vomiting on an empty stomach, thirst – all these symptoms can be confused with a hangover, if not for the nagging pain in the stomach.
- 5. Acute gastritis develops in patients receiving large doses of concentrated alcohol. Repeated vomiting with impurity of blood, constipation, sometimes diarrhea, belching, severe heartburn and stomach pain – about the urgent examination and treatment in hospital.
What to do?
Alcohol dulls the pain, so if the patient has a very sore stomach after drinking – is evidence of the serious health problems that require consultation with a doctor.
In this case, you must do the following:
- Immediately stop the consumption of alcohol.
- Induce vomiting. Drink a liter of warm boiled water, again to purify the stomach.
- If the pain is accompanied by nausea and weakness is to take activated charcoal 1 tablet on 10 kg of weight.
- If there is a diagnosis of ulcer, cholecystitis, pancreatitis, hepatitis, or cirrhosis of the liver vomiting blood – you need to call an ambulance, better to do nothing.
- Drinking a few tablespoons of sunflower oil and a mug of peppermint tea.
Much more stomach aches during a hangover when the anaesthetic effects of the alcohol have passed. Such pain befall a person in a state of complete helplessness, so everybody needs to know what to do in such a situation, drink to the stomach stopped hurting. The main recommendation – do not drink alcohol even in small doses. Although it really is able to temporarily alleviate the suffering, future consequences will not keep itself waiting – another dose of alcohol on the already damaged mucosa will quickly turn into an ulcer. Hangover epigastric pain often indicate the early stages of gastritis and treat them accordingly necessary.
What pills to take?
1. Every house must be a Pepto, activated charcoal or Smectite, propolis tincture, herbal-based chamomile and mint. It is a safe means to remove the spasm, alleviate pain, remove toxicity, stop diarrhea.
2. Sunflower oil, washed down with warm tea prevents irritable after a binge the body from exposure to acids.
3. Constipation and flatulence is to take Espumizan.
4. Heartburn, diarrhea is a symptom of gastritis with high acidity. From it and the accompanying pain will help antacids, for example, Gastal.
5. Belching the smell of rotten eggs, constipation, weight – evidence of gastritis with low acidity or a temporary inhibition of activity of digestive glands. The treated enzyme preparations such as Festal, but when severe pain it is better to accept funds to enhance the motility, for example, Motilium.
Treatment of gastritis
The most common reason for sore stomach after alcohol in healthy young people is the development of alcoholic gastritis. The disease progresses against the background of frequent drinking of alcoholic beverages (more than once a day) for a long time, and have similar symptoms with other types of gastritis. The main difference between alcoholic gastritis – decrease the manifestations during the re-intoxication, the so-called sober. After a binge can take an acute or a chronic form.
The initial stage of alcoholic gastritis is not accompanied by inflammation of the mucous membrane, limiting erosion – destroyed condition of the epithelial layer. If the attack is weak, you should try to cure the outbreak of gastritis in the home.
To do this:
- to abstain from alcohol during treatment;
- to quit Smoking;
- avoid stress;
- go to reusable food schedule, chew your food slowly;
- to go on a diet – to exclude fried, smoked, salty, spicy, hot dishes, the first 2-3 weeks eat only blended and heated products.
If my stomach hurts very badly or there is blood in the vomit, such gastritis is not cured. A qualified gastroenterologist can help determine an accurate diagnosis and to draw up a detailed plan of what to do.
- 1. Planning a feast with copious libations, must be carefully prepared to drink a little sunflower oil or eat fatty food, take a few tablets of activated charcoal.
- 2. Never drink strong alcohol on an empty stomach. Need to eat before drinking and to eat after.
- 3. Need to snack even alcoholic beverages. They greatly increase the acidity. The zapivanie does not solve the problem, because the stomach has nothing to digest.
- 4. Artificially induced vomiting in an extremely large dose of alcohol consumed will help to keep the liver and relieve the morning. Not to hurt the stomach, you should drink non-carbonated mineral water.
- 5. Flatulence and diarrhea after drinking can soothe, if you drink several cups of strong black tea without sugar with mint and lemon. Will also help dairy products.